Ch. 7 ~ Crashing Down

Chapter 7 Room of Requirement, Harry Potter, and Dumbledore’s Office

All the time that Fred and George spent trying to get the supplies from Snape, I had been wondering about the note that I had received earlier. The only people that I could think that hated me were Harry and the Slytherins. I couldn’t think of any one else. 

“Hey Herms?” I asked Hermione. 

“Yeah, Mere?”

“Do you know who sent me that note?” I asked. 

“I don’t know. I could try a revealing spell, though.”

“Would you?”

She nodded and gestured for me to give it to her. I took it out of my pocket and handed it over. Just as she was about to do the spell, Fred and George burst in. 

“We got the stuff!” they said proudly at the same time. 

I laughed and said, “Good thing, cause now Herms is casting a revealing charm on that one note that I got.”

“Hey, why don’t we go to the Room of Requirement?” Fred suggested. 

“Sure.”

Fred and George led Hermione and I out of the common room and up a flight of stairs. We arrived at a blank wall, and Hermione scoffed. 

“Where is it?” she asked. 

The twins smirked, and suddenly, a door materialized on the marble wall. 

“After you, ladies,” George said, smirking. 

I rolled my eyes and opened the door. Inside, there were four squashy beanbags on top of a maroon colored carpet. The walls were creamy white with floor length windows that overlooked a valley in spring time. I knew that it was apart of the room, and not an actual window because right now, its autumn, not spring, and there are no valleys on the grounds of Hogwarts. 

Behind me, I heard Hermione gasp. I turned to see what she was looking at. In the corner, there was a bookshelf that covered the entire wall with a potion’s station in front of it. My eyes widened, and I knew that if we didn’t have lessons, Hermione would never leave if her life depended on it. 

The twins laughed in sync. 

“So how about that revealing charm, eh?” I asked Hermione. 

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” She pulled the note from her pocket, along with her wand. She tapped it and said, “Revelio!”

Words started to come off of the page to form a name. In big block letters was the name, HARRY POTTER.

The twins and Hermione turned to look at me, mouths wide. 

“Mere?” George asked. “You okay?”

I clenched my jaw. “Fine.”

They seemed to know not to talk about it, and that I’d rant about it later. I mean, my own cousin! Seriously, what’s the matter with him?

“Can we just get started on the potion? Please?” I asked. 

They nodded and we all headed over to the potion’s station. 

Hermione got out a cauldron and her wand. 

“Agumenti,” she muttered and water filled the basin. 

“Okay, what do we need first?”

“Unicorn hair,” she replied. 

Fred handed it to her. When Hermione put in the hair and stirred once, counterclockwise, the water turned pure white in the beginning, and then dulled to a bright grey.

“Bat wings,” Hermione said. 

The bat wings made it turn a deep black. 

The snake venom made it lighten to green. 

And the mandrake leaves made it turn a pale yellow. 

“How long does it need to sit?” George asked. 

“A few days, at least,” I replied, looking in the book. 

“Someone’s going to have to keep checking it. I might not be able to, because of Harry and Ron. I swear, they follow me everywhere!” Hermione complained. 

“Oh, hey Mere?” Fred said suddenly. 

“Yeah, Fred?”

“Do you know who your dad is?”

I couldn’t think of why Fred would ask that. No… I still didn’t know who my dad was. Honestly, I really wasn’t concerned at the moment. I mean, I had classes to attend, homework to finish and pranks to pull. I hadn’t given it much thought. 

“No…?”

“Well, the Daily Prophet, a wizard newspaper, said that Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban,” George said. 

“So you think he’s my dad…?”

“Exactly,” Hermione said. 

“I’ll go ask Dumbledore. He probably knows.” I walked out of the Room of Requirement and down the hallway. His office was only a floor below. 

I stood in front of a large stone gargoyle. I knew that there was a password, but I didn’t know it. So, I started to guess. Trying to think like Dumbledore, I started to guess candy names.

“Chocolate Frogs?” No. 

“Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans?” No.

“Sugar Quills?” Nope. 

“Licorice Wands?” Still no. 

“Cockroach Cluster?” Yep. 

The gargoyle sprung aside and revealed a spinning staircase. I hopped on and it brought me to a big oak door. I knocked and heard a faint, “Enter.”

I opened the door and saw Dumbledore at his desk. He smiled and gestured for me to sit in one of the chairs in the circular office. 

“I was wondering when you were going to come and see me,” he said knowingly. 

“Sir,” I said. “Who is my father.”

“Ah, yes that. Well…” he trailed off. 

“Sir, please.”

“Alright. His name is Sirius Black”

I sat there, stunned.  It seemed like everything in my life was going wrong.