Ch. 8 ~ Memories

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, only the things that you don't recognize from the series. 

Chapter 8 Memories

After Dumbledore had dismissed me, I stampeded back to the Room of Requirement to find my friends. Sure enough, they were there. Fred and George were sitting on the beanbags with books in their laps and Hermione was pacing before them, lecturing them on how important studying for their OWLs were. 

“Mere!” the boys said jumping up, glad for an excuse to not study. 

“Hey guys,” I said glumly.

“What happened, Mere?” Hermione asked. 

“It’s true. He is my dad.”

“I’m sorry, Mere.”

“S’okay, Herms. Not like you can do anything about it,” I replied. 

“Do you want to go down to the lake?” George suggested. 

I nodded and jumped onto his back. “Onward, horse-y!” 

Hermione laughed, and George carried me out the door, Hermione and Fred following. Hermione and Fred skipped and sang random songs with me. It was really fun. When we got out into the courtyard, Hermione turned and started to walk backwards saying, “Mere, I have to tell you something.”

“Yeah Herms?”

“Well you remember Divination?” she asked. 

Of course I did. 

Flashback…

I was seated at one of the round tables in Divination. Today we had to read tea leaves, and Hermione was my partner. So we drank our tea until we reached the dregs. We placed the cups upside-down on the saucers and spun them around thrice clockwise. Hermione lifted hers up for me to read. I squinted into the cup and frequently looked at my book for reference. It looks like a sun…

“Um, looks like you’ll have great happiness…” I started. Hermione looked pleased at this news, even if she thought that this subject was total rubbish. 

Then I saw an acorn.

“New beginnings too…”

Then there was a dog. It kind of looked like a basset hound. 

“And a loyal companion. So you’ll have a new beginning with a loyal companion and you’ll be really happy about it,” I concluded. 

Hermione clapped her hands excitedly. 

“Now, your’s.”

She peered into it and studied her book. 

“You’ll lose everything you hold dear, but be happy about it?” she said, uncertain. 

“Well this cup’s a load of sunshine,” I said. 

“Oh my lord!” Professor Trelawney exclaimed. Everyone looked at her. 

“My, boy! It’s the Grim!” she shouted hysterically.

“The what?” Harry asked, looking at his cup.

“The black dog that guards churchyards! That is the worst sign! It is the omen of death!”

Flashback Over. 

“What? The Grim?” I asked, jokingly. 

She looked up at me, seeing as though I was still on George’s back. 

“Harry’s seen it before. When he ran away from Private Drive and hitched a ride on the Knight Bus. It was a big black dog!”

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist, Herms. It was probably just a stray. Anyways, why are you telling me?” I said. 

She shrugged and went back to skipping. We finally made it out to the lake and I slid off of George’s back. We sat in a mob. George was on my left, Fred on my right, and Hermione spread out in front of us. I let out a long sigh and rested my head on Fred’s shoulder. 

“Today sucked.”

“Why?” Hermione asked. 

I gave her a ‘really?’ look. “I found out that my dad is a mass murderer.”

“Oh,” she whispered. 

George took my hand while Fred hugged me. Hermione looked sympathetic. 

“He’s going after Harry, isn’t he?” I asked. 

“Mmm,” Hermione said, agreeing. 

I groaned. 

“I can’t believe he escaped Azkaban. How is it possible?”

“I don’t know, Mere,” Fred said. 

“I don’t know,” George finished. 

I looked around the scenery. It was late autumn. The leaves were smashed up in muddy piles on the ground, the trees bare and wind blowing around almost violently. It was my favorite time of year. It was the time when you didn’t have to wear a winter coat, just a thick jumper and boots to keep out the moisture of the muddy grass. I saw the Black Lake churning and even the Giant Squid was having a hard time against it. The only thing that didn’t seem affected by the brutal winds was the now leafless Whomping Willow.  The Willow was a large tree that had a mind of it’s own. It was placed over a secret tunnel that led into the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade. 

We sat out there for a few hours before returning to the castle. 

The next day, we had lessons. First was DADA, or Defense Against the Dark Arts. Our professor was Professor Remus J. Lupin. He was a rather weary man that had tattered robes, an exhausted expression and graying hair, though he was only about thirty. 

Today we were learning about Boggarts. They take shape into someone’s worst fear. You have to use a spell to turn it into something funny, as they can’t take laughter. 

So we were in the Teacher’s Lounge, where there just so happened to be a Boggart. I wondered what I feared. 

Everyone had had a go. Neville Longbottom was afraid of Professor Snape, the potions’ master. Parvati Patil was afraid of really large snakes, and Ron was mortified of spiders. 

Finally it was my turn. I stood and waited for it to change. It started to shift into my mother, playing the piano with a wall behind her. I recognized it as the day she was murdered. Suddenly, one of the long, high notes was abruptly cut off as the wall behind her blasted apart, and fell straight onto my mother. Then in walked this crazy looking lady. She had frizzy black hair falling down to her chest and an evil, satisfied smirk on her face. Following the lady was a man. He looked to be about the same age and he had dark brown hair and a sinister grin. 

“Mercury!” the lady shrieked. “Mercury! I know you’re there, Mercury!”

I froze. 

“C’mon, Bella. She’s obviously not here,” the man said. 

Suddenly, Bella froze and looked straight at me, evil smirk and all. She took out her wand and pointed it straight at me. 

“Crucio!” she shrieked and laughed. 

Unbearable pain seared through me, all the way down to my bones. I let out an ear-splitting screech and fell to my knees, withering in pain. 

“Avada Kedavera!” Bella yelled. 

A green light rushed toward me. In the few seconds I had, I wondered why no one was doing anything. This lady just used two Unforgivable Curses! Then green consumed me, then it faded into black nothingness. 

A/N: This one, I'm sort of proud of. I liked the ending. Comment, please. It'll mean alot. Tell me what you think. :) And if you have any suggestions for the story, like if she should have a relationship or something, please message me!