The belated Cavalry

Outpost 4 presented an almost majestic image from a distance. It's buildings were built upon a large oblong plateau at the end of a winding road. They appeared relatively new and built in the days when Earth based companies were eager to invest in the new world. Money was no object and hopes were high back then.The base was located on a low hill with a fence encircling the main grounds. It was surrounded all around by steeper hills. The layers of soil leading upwards varied in color giving it the illusion of great height and depth. Militarily it was the shield covering the mining communities of Wrangler and Capital City. It was also the training facility for all Redland Security Forces. It was greatly loved and hated in equal measure by the locals.

We landed gently outside the main gate. The swirl of dust curling over the hot engines adding to the overall confusion already going on within the perimeter fences. From the pilots cab we could see bulldozers and utility vehicles weaving through damaged roads and scorched buildings. Men hurriedly trying to patch holes and searching for the injured.

We'd received the report 2 hours earlier before entry into Mars atmosphere that they were under heavy attack by an unknown group and that our assistance might be needed. It was reportedly an aerial assault which resulted in a fair amount of damage to their power grid and the collapse of their maintenance hanger. The Outpost's small squadron of fighters appeared to be grounded at the moment.

A single security guard approached us Disruptor drawn and ready as we disembarked. From the main gate in front of the guard shack a heavy set gunner had us in his sights sitting behind an oversized Surge cannon.
"You fellas are a little late for the air show."
"Sorry guy.We came as fast as we could."
"You must be the transport from Outpost One? We were expecting you."
"Yes. Joseph Snow." I replied. " Id appreciate not getting shot by your buddy over there." I said nodding towards the guard shack.
With a simple wave from the guard the gunner waved back reluctantly relaxed his stance and lowered the cannon.
"Yeah that's Seal manning the cannon he's a little trigger happy right now. Always wanting to kill something that looks odd."
"Better let him know we're on the same side before someone gets hurt."
"Yeah I've been trying get him to go decaf. But .... Anyways .. can I see some cards?"

Checking our ID and scanning each he pointed out the Commanders corner office in the distance.
"Commander Morgan is busy but I just let him know you arrived and that you'll be in his office soon. Do you need an escort?"
"No, I know my way around. Some of my guys will be unloading the 'Pig tank' here"
"That should be fine. Our regular staff is preoccupied. But they should be able to assist soon. We've been living on half our daily water rations for the last week. Our tanks are nearly empty."
"Understood"
I took Paul, Jake and Sandy along. We walked carefully and stepped aside for the local techs scrambling to seal leaks and get power going again.
The lights were out inside of Morgan's office but they had emergency power for heat security systems and environmental control. Shedding my heavy helmet. I took a deep breathe and wiped the sweat off my brow. These combat suits were excellent for their purpose but no one had ever been able to figure out a means of filtering out the pungent smell of your own sweat. Despite the cold temperatures you were almost always overheated inside the suit.
Lyle Morgan walked into his office. He took long strides and spoke aloud into his mic to his maintenance workers about how to perform a touchy procedure. He nodded ackowledging us before he sat down at his desk obviously exhausted. Above us were a series of monitors showing different areas throughout the Outpost.
The walls were painted light tan and bare except for a large overview of the station itself which hung on the wall to our right. His desk had no pictures or personal items except for a stained coffee mug with the picture of an angry bulldog. The place was completely lacking in extravagance but obviously efficient and practical. Definitely a military atmosphere.
"Sorry everyone. Things have gone crazy. I've been running on pure adrenaline for the last 4 hours."
"Paul. Joe and Sandy whom I'm sure you know already."
He shook our hands each in turn.
"The rebels struck us unexpectedly and led the attack with 3 jump jets. Normally we would've been able to prevent it but our radar grid was under repair and somehow they must've found out."
"If we can be of any help?"
"I'll keep you posted we're still unsure about all this. Obviously the mercs have stepped up their game a notch. This is the first time they've used jets."
Dropping his guard for a moment you could almost see a transformation before he turned and spoke softly to his niece.
"Sandra, I heard all about it from Arthur. Your folks are just in shock right now."
"I know Uncle Lyle. I didn't plan on all this happening. It's really complicated to explain right now. Things just got out of control and.... Well can we talk about this some other time?" she asked quietly her eyes glancing towards Paul and myself.
"It's not me you need to talk to. You have to explain things to your folks. Are you free of the Twister drug?", he asked.
"We had Sandy go clean for a week just before we arrived here." I answered aloud.
"Very good. If you couldn't pass the drug test it would be hard to justify hiring you."
"Got that one covered Uncle Lyle."
"So the only question left is are you willing to sign up and work for us? I can't help you if you don't-"