Jailbreak

"Hold up Cowboy where do you think your going with her!" I threatened as I clenched my fists. Standing up in front of the exit door."
"Old man you better get outta the way cause one way or the other she's coming with me!" He replied holding onto her tighter.
In the back I can see Paul stand up and Reese lifting onto one knee.
Sandy looks about surprised and raises her hands trying to diffuse the situation. " Hold up guys you don't-"
Paul grabs the strangers jacket and pulls him down as I tackle him midwaist. The merc falls to the ground on his side releasing Sandy in the process. Reese is about to pound him with his good hand when Sandy pushes us all over in a pile and begins yelling."STOP! Just STOP! He's trying to help. PAUL LET HIM GO! JOE! REESE! STOP! THIS IS TREVOR! HE CAME TO RESCUE US!!"
"WHAT?!!" We stop struggling as the words sink in. Confused and disheveled we begin to let go of him.
"Guys this is Trevor- my husband. He came to get us out of here."
Pulling his jacket free from Paul's grip Trevor pulls himself up off the ground rubbing his shoulder. "Well actually I came to rescue Sandy in particular. After what you three just did I'm not so sure about helping you guys."
"Sorry Trevor we just trying to protect.."
"Yeah....Yeah I get it. I was trying to protect her as well. Heard some of the guys at camp talking about what they were going to do to all of you tomorrow morning."
"How did you know I was here?" Sandy asked.
" I recognized you back in the Hangar but knew if anyone else did they'd kill you right off. The Brotherhood would've branded you as a traitor and there's only one penalty for that."
"Sorry Trevor from our perspective it looked like you were just a merc trying to steal-"
"Look I don't have time for all this small talk if you guys want out I have a vehicle running outside. If you want to escape just shut up and follow me comprende?"
We nodded and cautiously stepped outside looking out for anyone in the area. On the ground was an unconscious guard.
Paul leaned down looked both ways then took the shotgun laying on the ground in front of the door. Trevor led the way and opened the back door to a private passenger van. We piled in quickly and closed the hatch. Allowing the vehicle to recompress.
In the distance I see the orange and blue stream of 2 jets headed in our direction. "Guys I think Drakes coming back! Let's get moving!"
"What are you talking about?"
As I watch the planes get closer I strain and see that it's got a series of bombs loaded under her wings.
I turn around in the vehicle and point down the road."GO! GO! GO! Right now! THEY ARE GOING TO BOMB THIS PLACE !"
Trevor hits the gas trying to outrun them.Looking out the back window I can see the bombs descending from above.
"Hold on here they come!"
I see everybody brace themselves. The first explosion rocks the van and my hands go instinctively to my ears as the deafening sound echoes against the metal walls. Paul is leaning back away from the window knowing it can shatter at any moment. As a series of bombs begin hitting behind us Trevor fights to keep the vehicle on the road.
"HEADS DOWN ! COVER YOUR FACES!" I hear Paul yelling. But we are already heading away from the target area.
Tracer rounds can be seen arching upwards towards the jets but they're too high up for small arms to reach.
"Those guys are just wasting ammo!" Paul says with a laugh.
As we speed away I hear Reese say aloud "Whoa! Wow! I just saw the building we were in get destroyed! If we didn't get out when we did we'd all be dead."
"Thanks Trevor!"
"Don't thank me yet we still gotta get out of here!"
In the ensuing chaos we were able to get to a main roadway as panicked mercs and miners were too busy responding to the explosions behind us. We drove into the night for the next 30 minutes grateful we made it out alive. I could hear my heart still pounding, sweat pouring down my forehead. I was drenched in sweat and tired. My back was just beginning to feel better as I sat down and leaned back against one of the walls.

We passed shadows of industrial buildings and restaurants. We passed small glowing neon signs advertising vacancies in motels and open signs at fill-up stations. Small islands of civilization in the otherwise barren deserts of the Martian landscape. Up ahead we could make out the domed silhouette of Wrangler. Inside the giant dome, buildings and street lamps were lit up and vehicles could be seen driving along the streets.
We entered thru one of the four vehicle air locks into the city.
"Welcome to Wrangler guys!" Sandy said just before opening her window. The fresh air inside the dome had a refreshing minty scent. Reese's eyes rolled upward as he took a long deep breath. You could see the tension dissipate as if we had entered a different world.
Trevor drove up to an old style Quonset hut which someone converted into a home. In the front an empty old spool turned on its side served as a round table and plastic garden chairs formed an outside seating area where 2 old retirees sat drinking coffee and playing a game of chess.
I stepped out of the vehicle and looked around.
"Don't worry Joe in this neighborhood they live by the 3 monkey rule."
"Oh..... And what is the 3 monkey rule?"
"You know -see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."
"Ahh! I LIKE that rule. Never heard of that phrase but it makes perfect sense to me now."
Reese steps out behind me and stretches his legs. "This where you live?" He asked Sandy.
"Yes, follow me. Let's get inside where it's warmer."