Truth Be Told

Trevor was doing his midday checks following the route he had been given. Outside of the Control Room doors he would hear snippets of conversation between Vince Baxter, Crusty Anderson and Boris Winer. They spoke in low tones and as a general rule avoided looking directly at anyone. Try as he may his route passed their normal gossiping spot 4 times a day. He'd missed much of the conversation but the parts he heard were enough to get the gist. They plotted to take Beary down somehow. He'd heard how Baxter had been humiliated when Beary back-handed him and physically threw him out into the hall the day he found two of his cousins were being tortured for information. It created a great deal of controversy among the Rebel Leaders. There were conflicting stories about how all that came about.

Boris Winer was the chief of the Winer Clan. It was a well known fact that his ambition knew no bounds and he would wear down others by his mere presence. His irritating personality was obvious to everyone but himself. In Vince he found a natural ally for Beary represented an obstacle to his own rise. Crusty on the other hand was a natural follower. He had no great ambitions of his own but tended to side with men of questionable character. His greatest fault being that he just liked their company.

When his route led back to the birdcage Trevor patted his shirt pocket to make sure he had the pack. He was surprised to see just Billy guarding the birdcage. But this time Billy wasn't armed with just a pistol now he had a double barrel shotgun as well. He was pacing back and forth with a large mug of coffee.

"Hey Billy! Where's your buddy Markus? Don't you guys have guard duty together anymore?" Trevor asked as he approached.

"Markus got pulled away to tend to some corporate guys needing help. He's the medic so he's the closest thing we've got to a doctor this far from Mars."

"How are the prisoners?"Trevor asked glancing back at the birdcage.

"They've been quiet. Strangest thing though, a group of them have been walking in a circle over and over. Something about getting all their steps in whatever that means."

"I promised one of them guys I'd get him some cigarettes. Mind if I see them for a minute?"

"Hey I don't mind at all. But since you're here, could I ask you to watch them for a few minutes? See I've been drinking this strong coffee all morning and I just need to get rid of some now."

"Billy you go right ahead I'll be happy to watch them. Just don't take too long."

"I won't !" he replied handing Trevor his shotgun. He looked at the doorway at Major Dome and Smokey. Giving them the 'I'm watching you' look as he walked by.

About a minute after Billy exited the room Trevor approached the prisoners leaving Billys shotgun on the table. He reached for the open cigarette pack and gave it to Smokey.

"I really appreciate this young man I haven't had one for days!" He lit one up instantly and offered one to Christopher the only other regular smoker on station.

"The names Trevor. Oh and don't light up every one. There's a special one in there from a friend for Major Dome."

Major Dome came closer and took the pack from Smokey. Looking carefully he fished out the one which looked a little different. He stepped back to read the message written on a small rolled up piece of paper-PRIME RIB NIGHT COMING UP. MADE YOUR RESERVATIONS. PICK YOU UP AROUND 8-ISH?

"Who sent this Trevor?" he asked through the barred door.

"Arthur told his daughter Sandy to tell you or Smokey. Hope it makes sense to you."