Chapter 1

Ben sat at the end of his bed with sweat dripping off his face. His breathing was labored as he continued to hear the gunfire. He stood up and stumbled to the bathroom. Turning the glass knobs at the sink, he felt relief as he splashed the cold water in his face. I'm here now. I'm not there. He looked up at his reflection and stared at his dead eyes.

"I'm here now. I'm not there," he whispered to the mirror.

Ben limped back to his bed slowly and plopped back down. He glanced at his phone and read the illuminated 3:47 on the screen and sighed. Pain flooded him as his leg started to ache. He rubbed his calf profusely, feeling the deep scars embedded into his flesh. Sharp gunfire erupted again with sounds of mortars exploding around him. He quickly removed his hand from his leg as if he was burned.

"Fucking stop!"

His throat burned from his sudden roar. Ben looked at the multiple bottles next to his bedside and grabbed the one prescribed for sleep, popping open the lid hurriedly. He limped back over to the bathroom and picked up the glass full of water next to the sink. His scruffy reflection stared back at him as he swallowed the pill he hoped would help him sleep. A hollow echo filled the room as he slammed the bottle next to him.

"Really?!" he said exasperated looking down at the empty bottle.

He would have to go get a refill tomorrow.

Ben woke up the next morning with his phone loudly playing a heavy metal song.

"Hello?"

"Hey Grayson, it's Radcliff. Do you want to come over tonight to have some drinks?"

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Hey, are you doing okay? I haven't talked to you in awhile."

"I'm fine. Just been busy is all."

"So I will see you tonight?"

"Sure, what time?"

"Anytime. Just drop in when you want."

"Sounds good man. I'll see you later."

"Alright, later!"

Ben hung up and looked at his phone. It was ten in the morning. He only had two hours of sleep according to his calculations. He rolled over and sat up in bed. His leg was burning in pain. Ben looked over at his nightstand and grabbed another bottle off the nightstand. He took a pill from the almost empty bottle and hobbled over to the bathroom sink. His dark green eyes looked sunken from insomnia and the dark stubble on his face made him look worse. His short black hair needed trimming too. He decided to take a shower and clean up before going to the clinic.