Chapter 8

The week dragged on slowly, she couldn't wait for the next Friday, she was very eager indeed, Evey second spent seemed like forever. She couldn't wait to have her first case. She wondered what it would be like, how it would be, she hoped it goes well and also she made up her mind to be determined and never give up.
She read books day after day, clearing every single test that came her way, she didn't mind the side comments of Amara and her Dolls and she was thankful for every given day....
Friday came finally, she was optimistic about it. As she sat in class, she was full of smiles, nothing seemed to bother her, she waited patiently for class to end....
Sport period it was!, she stood up and walked majestically to her chambers, Lade was already sitting, writing things down in a book... She had been briefed of her duties. The other court workers also came in, Obolo looking as dashing as ever, with his khaki shorts and shirt, he looked serious... She smiled, as they all came in "I welcome you all to our first Court proceedings" she said "Thank you ma" they all replied... Just then, a group of Lawyers in suit came and took their seats everyone seemed serious and ready, some students were present as the Jury. The Government teacher, the Councillor and the Principal were also present, everywhere seemed quiet.
"Call the case" Dunni said with all seriousness "The first case on the list -Mr Dare Badu Versus the school. He was caught on the 15th of January 2016 at the cafeteria cheating on his girlfriend" the Clerk sounded. There was brief laughter from the jury "Administer the Oath" she says "Are you a Muslim or a Christian?" The Clerk asks "A Muslim" Dare replies, She hands over the Koran to him "Say after me, I... Your name?" She says "I my name" he says, there was a brief chuckle from the jury "Order!" The Judge gavelled, Lade rolled her eyes "Say your name" she said "I, Dare Badu" "Swear this oath and say" he repeated "That, the evidence I shall give in this case " "That the evidence I shall give in this case" "Shall be the truth, and nothing but the truth" "Shall be the truth and nothing but the truth" "So help me God" "So help me God"...
A Barrister stood up to introduce himself "My Lord, I am Barrister Ifeanyi. I am appealing for Miss Tola Kolawole. Please permit me to cross examine Mr. Dare" he said "Proceed" she said "Mr Dare, do you know Miss Tola Kolawole?" He asked as he corked an eyebrow "Yes my lord" he replied "For how long have you known her if I may ask?" "I've known her since 3 years now" he said looking at him "Who is she to you?" He asked "umm, she... She is my girlfriend" he stated, there were murmurs from the Jury, the teachers were dumbfounded "Girlfriend you say?" He asked "Yes" he replied "can you tell this honorable court what happened on the 15th of January 2016?" Barrister ifeanyi sounded "Nothing, I was in my classroom reading my biology textbook" he sounded confidently "Biology textbook you say?" He asked "yes" the barrister left his side and went to the judge's side "My lord, permit me to call in a witness" he said "Carry on" she nodded "Can Miss Amina Saliu please come out? " Barrister Ifeanyi stated. She came out wearing her hijab and also her sports wear, her eyes met Dare's as she stepped into the witness box, he looked at her like she should not tell, but she diverted her eyes from him. She was sworn in and she was asked "Who are you to Miss Tola Kolawole" he asked "She's my Best Friend" Amina replied "Can you tell this honorable court what happened on the 15th of January 2016?" He asked "Yes, well... I was in the rest room, doing my business, when I came out, the popo started worrying me and I ran back inside, it was so messy and..." She was cut short by him "Enough!,not about you, that's not why you are here!" He said "Ohh, you asked what happened on the 15th na" she said "Well, as I came out of the Restroom, I went straight to the cafetaria to get my lunch, that outburst from my anus was really much, so I was hungry... " the Barrister rolled his eyes "As I got there, I met Dare and a girl, I've never seen her before sha, they were laughing talking, I forgot all about my lunch, as I got closer, I saw he was touching her... " the Principal corked an eyebrow...He really couldn't believe all these were happening in his school, kids dating and doing all sorts of things... Clearly, this court will help him unravel mysteries, "I'm always going to be a part of this" he said to himself... "Then, he kissed her and they held hands and walked away, when they got to the door they separated like they didn't know each other... I ran like a mad fowl to tell Tola, so... I advised her to Sue him, which she did and here we are" she said "Thank you" barrister Ifeanyi said and bowed to the Judge and went to his seat. Dare's Lawyer came up, it was his time for questioning... He grinning. Tola was called to the floor, she came out looking at Dare with burning eyes... She was carefree.... After she had been sworn in, Dare's lawyer barrister James started the questioning "So, Miss Tola, where were you on the 15th of January 2016?" He asked "Simple,I was in class" she replied "okay... So have you and Dare had any problems since you started dating?" He asked "Ehn.. Of course, We fight wella.... " she said "hmm, can you state some instances? " he asked "there was this time I asked him to carry my bag, he said no oo... We fought, this other time he asked me to borrow him money,I said no, I mean how will he expect me to borrow him money??.. There was a time also he was talking to a girl, I flarred up and... " "Aha!, so you mean to tell us that you are the jealous type, this must all be a set up and... " "Objection my lord!" Tola's lawyer "Objection Sustained" she said "This isn't what we are saying here, he's deviating!" Her lawyer said "So how do you plead" the Judge asked "Not guilty my lord" Dare said. "Is there any evidence?" Dunni asked the plaintiff "None my lord" the Plaintiff replied sadly, the Defense counsel grinned...
"My lord, I am Barrister James, I am appealing for Mr. Dare Badu, I will be grateful if your lordship can grant Mr. Dare bail since it had not been proved that he actually committed the offence" he said looking at the Judge. Dunni looked at the court room, it seemed to be tense...she thought about it all, clearly, there was no evidence... "The court is granting Mr. Dare Badu bail of 2,000 naira" she said... There were muffled sounds from the jury, people didn't seem happy with it "As the court pleases" the lawyers said "The court will rise" she said "Court!" Lade shouted with everyone standing...
"Miss Dunni, I must say I'm very impressed with what happened today" The Principal said "Yes, I am... Very.... " the Government teacher retorted... "Me too, now I know I can retire with assurance that someone will take control of the affairs of the students" the Councillor said as he grinned, they all shook her and left.... She felt good, everything had worked out fine... Tola was sad she didn't know that there was need of evidence, she just sued him, clearly, they were over.... She had broken up with him... He didn't seem to care... She broke down...
Lade was smiling "Your first court proceedings was excellent!" She screamed "You mean our" Dunni said smiling... "Yeah, yeah.... " Lade said, she was happy "I'm really proud of you" Dunni said to her "Me too" she said...Jimi came over "Wow, wow, you killed it!" He said "thank you" she said.... He shook her hand.... She felt warm... She was surprised, she blushed, he saw it, he smiled and left... "THANKS GOD" She said.... She had succeeded, she, prayed it would always be this way.... She walked away feeling complete....