Ch 13: Soar

(unedited)

Alex's pov

RRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGG!!

The bell rang signaling the end of recess. It's been two weeks since Amy's birthday, and it already feels like it was a far away dream. Now I was on my way to computer class. That was the only class I had that has assigned seats. I didn't like the assigned part but I liked the seating part; Nichole was right next to me. So it was like a bonus. Not that it mattered. I'll bet she doesn't even know I'm in that class.

I saw her a few feet ahead of me and sped up to catch up with her. "Hey."

She looked at me in confusion, then cleared it when she saw it was me. "Oh, hey. What do you have right now?"

I KNEW IT. I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!

I cleared my throat. "I'm with you in computer."

She frowned. "You are?"

"Nichole, I sit right next to you." I didn't know which I was felt more, hurt or anger.

"Oh." She blinked. "Oh yeah, you do," she added as an after thought.

I wanted to tell her that she needed to pay more attention to her surroundings, but decided to let it go. I should just get used to her not caring about my damn existence. But I cared about hers, therefore I noticed that she wasn't keeping the normally neutral face that she has on. She was.... "What is it, Nichole? You're frowning?"

She quickly cleared her expression. "Nothing, I just...I just really don't wanna go to class."

I stopped dead in my tracks. She stopped too with an eyebrow raised. "Did you just say you don't want to go to class?"

I started walking again but I was really curious. The Nerd never wanted to not go to class. She chuckled. "Yeah, it's just computer class though. I don't like that class."

"Why not?" The computer sir was a pretty chill guy. He was young too, so he understood us.

"Because his class is...boring." She said, "I like classes where I actually learn. Computer...is nothing new."

Okay, how is it nothing new? I mean, I barely know anything about the computer. Except for using the internet. You know, watching videos, memes, Photoshop, all that stuff. 

I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant because we reached the class exactly when the warning bell rang. The sir took attendance and class routine was carried out. Oh, well. I'll just ask her later. 

Nikki's pov

I wanted to sleep.

Since I was a hacker, I already knew everything about a computer. Okay, not everything, but definitely more than the sir. Though it's true that the teacher himself was a cool guy, but it didn't help. The teacher went on about computer law, and I yawned. I quickly covered it with my hand. To my right, Alex made a noise, and I realized he was trying to hold in his laughter. He obviously he saw me. I put my finger on my lips, signaling him to shut up. But I had to admit. If I saw that, I would probably laugh too.

 But I still can't believe Alex had actually been sitting beside me the whole time. I really never notice his presence unless he approaches me.  Which he seems to be doing a lot lately. Why does he do that? I still need to stay away from him, it will only attract unnecessary attention from Natalie and her creeps. I only had bio with that hater, but I still had to stay away. 

Speaking of Bio! I raised my hand the moment the teacher took a break. "Yes, Ms. Rider?"

"May I go to the library for a minute? I forgot something over there during recess." I was too busy thinking about T that I forgot my homework file on the desk.

He frowned. "Is it important?" 

"Yes." More important than this.

"Okay," he handed me the hall pass, "But only this once."

I smiled. No other teacher would let me out of class for a reason other than to go to the restroom. "Thank you."

I went straight to the library, but that took some time. The IT Lab was on the second floor and the library was on ground floor. It took a while to cross wings, but I didn't hurry. I didn't want to go back to that class anyway. Thankfully, my stuff was still where I left it. Stealing homework was super common in this school. 

Was it just me, or was there actually sounds of running footsteps coming from outside? Like there was a stampede. 

That definitely had to be my imagination.

As I was on my way back to the class, I bumped into Alex. He said he had to answer nature's call. This was also the only teacher who let two students out at the same time.

Speaking of students...

"Alex?" 

"Hmm?"

"Isn't this hallway a little too quiet?"

He stopped and listened. There was not a single sound coming from the classrooms. Kids in this school are only quiet during a test, and every class in the hallway can't be having a test at the same time. These weren't the finals. And these walls were not soundproof. 

All the doors had small windows, but almost all of them were covered with something. So he just straight knocked on the door and entered the room. WHAT?! You can't just disrupt a class like that! I was about to say something to him but he looked at me with a confused look on his face. "The class...it's empty."

"What?" I peeped in it and saw that indeed it was. Then I remembered the sound of a stampede in the library. I went to another classroom and opened. It was also empty. I checked another one. No one. 

"This one's vacant too." Alex spoke from another class. 

The both of looked at each other, understood what we had to do and ran back to the lab. It was also empty. The bags of students were still there. Notebooks opened, projector working.

"Nichole, did you hear a fire drill, 'cause I didn't." Alex almost sounded frightened. 

I shook my head. "I didn't." But then again, how was it possible for the entire school to be emptied out within the time I went and came back from the library? I didn't spend that much time. 

"Uh, Nichole?" Alex's voice was full of panic. He was looking out the window. "You might wanna see this."

I frowned and went over to him, then gasped. The entire school was entering the gym in files, by classes. And at the sides there were men in black clothes, shouting at the students and teachers to hurry up. 

The men had guns.

"What's going on? What should we do?" Alex looked worried. He started asking questions out of panic. 

"Shut up!" I shouted. "Let me think."

My brother trained me to stay calm in situations like these, but honestly, even I was having a hard time. Usually, I would just hack to save the day, and this situation was a good position too. We were in a computer class, which was the best place to hack. But if I hacked now, I would have to let Alex know my identity.

A gunshot was fired. 

Oh who am I kidding?!

I speed dialed Zac and put it on speaker to let Alex in too. I explained the situation to him, and he assured the two of us that he'll be at the school with the rest of them as fast as they could.

Then a voice spoke on the speaker. "Helllllllllloooooooo, people! My name is.....not important as of now. But as you can see, my men and I have dominated the entire school. Only because of one student. If that student comes forth, we will let the rest of you go."

I found that last part hard to believe. 

"Okie-dokie. So please come forward, Alexander Carter."

I looked at Alex and he had gone extremely pale. Okay, now was not the time to think about secrets.

It's time to let the Phoenix soar.