Ch 19: Call

(unedited)

Alex's pov

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

FINALLY! FINALLY!! FINALLY!!!

I finally have Nichole's number!

I've been wanting her number since like the beginning of time. I'm like the happiest person on Earth right now! 

I had something I wanted to talk to my parents about so I didn't go home immediately. I bought another drink before going back up to the office; the drinks in that cafe are delicious!

When I went back to the office both of them were fairly surprised. Oh yeah, I didn't tell them that I wanted to talk to them. 

"Hey," I said as I closed the door behind me.

"Alex," my father spoke from behind his computer, concerned. "What's the matter?"

I sat down in a nearby chair, which was right in front of both of them. "I, uh, I need to talk to you guys about something." 

Suddenly I didn't feel like it anymore. I know that my parents are going to be super happy by what I'm about to say. I guess I was nervous because of that. I was almost certain that they would throw a banquet once the words leave my mouth. Why do they have to make a big deal out of everything?

"Well, what is it?" My mom got up from the desk and walked over to me.

"I made a decision...that I'm going to re-join UnderKover."

My parents were silent for a second, then they both burst into tears. My mom came and hugged me. "Oh,I'm so proud of you!"

"Yeah, thanks Mom." She hugged me some more. "Mom, you're...choking...me!"

She released me and I took a deep breath when she did. She's a lot like Amy in that sense. 

My dad came over and hugged me as well. "What made you change your mind?"

Nichole did. Since my parents owned the place, I was always a part of UnderKover. But after Kathrine...I changed my mind and left, wanting to have nothing to do with the place. 

But Nichole brought me back. Well, it was actually Amy's kidnapping, but still. Nichole made me want to stay here. She reminded me how much fun it was to be a part of UnderKover. 

Nichole was bringing back the real me.

"Alex?" I snapped out of my reverie and looked at my parents. They were staring at me in concern.

"Sorry; was lost in thought. As for the reason, I'm not telling you...yet." I didn't want my parents to know about my crush on Nichole. If they found out, I'd never hear the end of it.

Both of them protested, but I wasn't changing my mind. "But I do have one request to join."

"Which is?"

"I'm gonna join as a trainee for now, so I can get back into shape. But after that, you guys are going to decide which squad I enter right?" Though that's only going to be temporary since I'm going to take over the company sooner or later.

"Yes, what about it?"

"At that time, I want to join the Phoenix squad."

Both of the chuckled. "Of course. You're already on such good terms with all of them," said Dad. "Obviously you're going to join their squad." But then he added as an afterthought, "Well,that's if Nicky allows it."

Well, yeah obviously. Because she's the real leader of the squad, she gets to choose new applicants. 

"Well, that's all I wanted to say. When do I start training?"

My parents looked at each other and did that think that couples do when they totally understand what the other one is thinking.

"You're not gonna start training for now. I want you to train under Nicky's squad. Since they already left, that's out of the question. You'll start once they give the okay."

I nodded, got up and left. I did it rather hurriedly too, I couldn't wait to talk with Nichole on the phone. 

I sighed. I wish I could call her 'Nicky' as well. But she's probably gonna kill me if I did that, so maybe not.

The moment I reached home, I asked the assistants to let Amy know I'm here, then I went to my room and just stared at my hand.

I was suddenly nervous. I continued staring at my hand, so long that I ended up memorizing the number. Which is something I would've done sooner or later but you know.

I dialed her number and took a deep breath before pressing call. She opened it on the second ring ring. "Hey, Alex?"

"How did you know it was me?" What he heck? I know she's photogenic, but she didn't tell me she was psychic too.

"You're the only person I gave my phone number to today, so obviously you're the only unknown number that's going to call me today. Duh."

I wasn't paying attention. Nichole's voice sounded a little different, like when she's talking on the speaker as the Phoenix. But even though I've heard it before, my mind was buzzing. My heart started beating faster and I felt heat flush to my face. "Right. Sorry." 

Seriously, Alex? Of all the things in the world that's the only thing you can say?

"Yeah, well. I got your number so I'm hanging up."

"Wai-" I was about to stop her, but I changed my mind. It's probably better for my heart if she stops now. "Okay, see you tomo--"

She shut the phone before I could  finish. 

I looked down at my cell, and just stared. My first call with Nichole. My heart was going crazy.

What the heck, Alex? It's just a call!

But it was more than just a call. I didn't know how, or even why, but it was more than just a call. I curled my feet up on the sofa and wrapped my arms around my knees. Then I sighed, with Nichole's face flashing behind my eyes. 

I want to see her.

Even though I was just with her not even an hour ago? What was going on with me? When did I fall so deep?

But maybe it's a good thing that she's so distant with me. That means she doesn't look at me the same way others do. Yeah, it really ticked me off in the beginning, but now that I'm in love with her, I'm thankful.

At least I know that she's not like Kathrine.