Part 3 of the Mermaid Au

I decided that I'm going to make a little mini series inside here of the Mermaid AU. I like it enough to continue so here we go.

Eren swam towards the reef his pod lived in as fast as he could. He had stayed chatting with Levi till midnight and he knew that his friends would be questioning his whereabouts.

As though the sea god had heard his thoughts, he heard a voice, tense and terse call out behind him.

"Eren Jorg Jaeger where have you been?"

'Almost'

Eren slowly twirled around in place, eyes shut tight. He had hoped to not run into anyone especially her. Especially since she called out his last name. She only she that when she was absolutely pissed.

"Where have you been Eren?"

Eren took a deep breath and thought hard at what to say. He was probably the world's shittiest liar and having to come up with a lie right on the spot that sounded believable was nearly impossible.

"I'm waiting." The silence stressed on uncomfortably.

Eren opened his eyes slowly, fearful that if he opened them any faster his adopted sister Mikasa would pounce. She stood with her hip jutted out. Her face composed but the violent swishing of her tail told otherwise. Her tail twitched ever so slightly when it brushed against the sandy floor. Eren stared at the tail afraid to met Mikasa's eyes and studied how the dark red of the mermaid's tail contrasted with the bright red seaweed scarf she wore.

"Nowhere."

Eren had to mentally slap himself. That was probably the stupidest thing to say right now. Now he sounded even MORE suspicious.

"Mikasa cut him some slack."

Eren mentally thanked every seagod in existence. Here right in front of him was his savior. Armin Arlert. Eren saw Mikasa swimming in place next to the aqua coral table with her arms crossed glaring at him. Armin was closer to him giving mikasa an exasperated look. The blond coconut stretched and brushed some invisible dirt off his tail.

"Guys it's late and we all have to hunt tomorrow. Unless you want to get eaten by a shark I suggest you both get at least eight hours of sleep. Chop chop." Armin swam past us and gestured to our rooms. Armin's tail lazily swam back and forth, the baby blue scales so shiny and bright it put the sky on a sunny day to shame.

Eren mouthed a thank you to Armin as he headed into his room while Mikasa headed to hers. Eren closed the makeshift door as quickly as he could. He slid down onto the sand amd lied there. Eventually Eren pulled out the small key his mother had given to him before she died. The key once belonged to a human and could open something supposedly amazing. The mermaid had obtained it from an old shipwreck she had explored without Grisha's knowledge. It was a secret that was kept amongst hum and her. Eren smiled, his eyes getting heavy and swam to his small bed made out of different types of seaweed, rocks, etc.

Soon after Eren succumbed to the the darkness and peacefulness of sleep.

------------------------------------------------------

"Go away seahorse!" Eren shouted as the fish he was trying to kill swam away. The merman huffed in anger, the fish all around them scattering in fear at the angry shout.

"Fuck you Eren I don't look like a seahorse. And you scared all the fish dipshit. Good job you suicidal ass." Jean replied.

Eren glared in response. Jean and him had always been enemies since they were young. They never agreed on anything and tried to fight each other at least twice a day. It was how they worked, but deep down they had a mutual respect for one another that never lead to anything more than a couple punches being thrown at each other.