Chapter 4

Greystripe watched as the others left. He suddenly spotted Scourge leaving with Brightheart. What was he doing? Greystripe didn't think he could bear another death. Suddenly a dirty looking white she-cat with green eyes and a purple, tattered collar came padding over to him. 

"Come here, soft-heart! Follow me!" she spat showing yellowing teeth. Greystripe followed stiffly. He hadn't slept all night with the stench of Twoleg place and the constant glares of cats that he knew could, and would be happy to kill him any moment. The white BloodClan cat led Greystripe up the Twoleg place and turned in to a thin pathway. Towering red walls loomed up on each side. A group of silver things stood at the back and some black skin things that smelt of rotten crow-food. 

"You say you can sniff out mice sniff out that chicken!" she growled. Greystripe was confused. What was chicken? Should he ask? No. He might lose an ear for doing that and that was not even exaggerating at this point. The she-cat snarled. 

"You really are stupid aren't you? Watch and remember!" she spat. Greystripe gulped nervously and watched. The she-cat sniffed and then padded over to a silver thing. She pounced on it and knocked the top off. It landed on the ground with a loud bang. The BloodClan cat then stuck her nose inside and after a while pulled out a weird thing. It looked like a bone with a lump on top of it. The she-cat dropped it at his paws. 

"This is chicken. Go find some more before I lose my temper entirely and pluck out your whiskers one by one!" she ordered with unnecessary hostility. Greystripe held his breath, his heart pounding. He slowly got up and turned towards the silver things. He opened his mouth to take in the scents. He felt the bile rising in his throat as the acrid smells of mould and Monsters washed over his tongue. Behind the smells of wet and crow-food, he smelled something else. It was the same scent as the thing the she-cat had taken out so it had to be chicken. He followed the scent to a black skin. He sliced it open effortlessly and Twoleg rubbish poured out. Holding his breath and trying not to gag he dug in and eventually found the slimy meat. He pulled it out and dragged it over to the she-cat. 

"Took you long enough! Again! Find me at least five more pieces of chicken and then maybe we can go back", she snapped. Greystripe sighed and got back to hunting, or was it hunting. No. 
It was scavenging. After a while, he had found four pieces of chicken. It was the last piece. He felt like throwing up but what would this she-cat think of him then? She might claw off his ears! 

"Hurry up! Last piece, come on!" she growled. Greystripe sniffed out the last piece and brought it back.  He dropped it on the pile. 

"Ok wait here you useless lump of fur!" she spat. She dived into a silver thing and brought out more chicken. 

"Now pick all this up and bring it back to camp! Now!" she ordered. Greystripe grabbed as much as he could but only managed three pieces and even that was hard. The she-cat rolled her eyes and picked up the others. Luckily with her mouth full, she couldn't snap threats at him anymore and with his mouth full he couldn't say anything mouse-brained that he'd regret. 

Finally, they reached camp and Greystripe could drop the horrid meat. Was this really what he would have to eat for the rest of his life? Was this really what BloodClan had been eating their whole lives until now? Greystripe saw Frostfur beckoning him and was about to pad over to her when the she-cat blocked him, the one he'd been scavenging with.  

"Not so fast soft-heart!" she rasped,"You're going to have to put this into storage! You can scamper away and wail in a corner after this", she growled. Greystripe picked up the three chicken but the she-cat didn't pick up any. She grinned. 

"Aww poor you. Did you think I was going to help you? No! I will show you the way to storage then you'll actually have to do something. Is that too hard for you?" she teased. Greystripe shook his head. She led him over a green thing that also smelled like crow-food. They went behind it and through a narrow path that opened up into another small space. On one side was a nest like thing full of ivy and moss. On the other was another box thing full of chicken. 

"Put it in the crate and then go fetch the rest," she ordered then walked away. Greystripe dropped it in the crate and looked over at the other. He had to sleep in a shiny tunnel object, this was a nicely shaped object full of actual bedding. Perhaps it was Scourge's nest? Greystripe just shook his head and went back for the next lot. Cat's shouldn't waste any time if they wanted to keep a whole tail. Eventually, Greystripe had brought all the chicken over and went over to see Frostfur. She was shaking and staring at the ground. 

"Frostfur?" Greystripe approached. She looked up at him, her eyes full of fear. 

"This place....it's driving me to insanity. I need to get out of here...." her voice was barely a whisper. Greystripe rested his tail on her shoulder. 

"Frostfur.. you know as well as I do that if you escape you will be hunted down and killed. Do you want to risk that?" he asked. 

"I'm an elder now..... I'd had a good life up until now. I don't want this to be the last place I see. I would rather die in the place I knew as home than this horrific prison", she told him.  Greystripe sighed. 

"I will help you escape if you want. I know a place. You will be able to escape to the forest. Follow me," Greystripe led Frostfur to her freedom.