Chapter 8

Scourge was very unhappy. He may have won the battle but cats were escaping. He was loosing his own cats by sending out search parties for them. He decided to go look for some new strays who might be interested. Scourge padded through the maze of alleyways until he spotted a sandy grey she-cat nibbling on an off piece of chicken. She looked up, her eyes glazed with fear, as Scourge approached.

"You.. you can have it if you want!" she pushed the chicken over as if she expected he wanted that scrap. 

"No thanks", Scourge kicked the meat back to her. He was prepared though and he picked up a juicy piece of chicken in his jaws that he had taken with him to bribe stubborn cats. He dropped it in front of the thin she-cat, his eyes showing fake friendliness. 

"Here have this", he invited and stood back. 

"Wh...why? Why are you giving me this? Do you want something from me?" she questioned. Scourge felt a little anger bubbling inside him at her rudeness. She's just hungry Scourge convinced himself I was like her once.  

"Well...sort of", Scourge replied. The she-cat looked up from eating. 

"I am leader. Leader of a group of cats called BloodClan. We take in strays willing to fight, hunt and follow my rules. We also provide food and we provide shelter and safety. I have been searching for strong and intelligent cats to recruit to my clan", Scourge told her. The she-cat looked thoughtful. 

"That sounds..... incredible! Of course! This feels like the luckiest day of my life- no it is the luckiest day of my life!" she exclaimed joyfully. 

"You promise to serve my clan with respect and courage?" Scourge asked. 

"Yes!" she confirmed, her chin high. 

"Then follow me", Scourge led the way back to old camp. He went over to one of his cats Lily, ignoring the forest cats stares. Scourge suddenly realised something. He hadn't asked her name! 

"Whats your name?" Scourge swung his head round to face the new cat. 

"Oh! Umm its Feadora", she told him. 

"Well Feodora I am Scourge and this is Lily one of my clan cats. She is going to show you around and tell you my rules and about...them", he told her pointing at the forest cats. Lily nodded. She had done this before with Mooney another cat he had introduced about two moons ago. Scourge watched as Lily led Feodora through the crowd of cats. Satisfied Scourge walked over to the pile of meat and picked out a big piece of redish brown meat. It was called steak from his memory. It was the biggest and juiciest one there. Scourge settled down and ate his meal.  Afterwards he decided to go back home, but he wanted to do one more thing. He went over to Half-Face. She was with a long furred white tom with blue eyes. 

"I'm so sick of this place Cloudtail", Scourge overheard her say. 

"Oh really?" Scourge sneaked up behind her. Gasping they both spun around. Scourge smiled in pleasure when he saw the fear on their faces. 

"Don't hurt her!" the tom who must have been Cloudtail begged, a pitifully desperate look in his eyes. These cats really needed shaping up. 

"I wasn't planning on. Half-Face come on, I'm taking you to main base", Scourge flicked his tail. 

"Half.....Face?" Cloudtail gasped. 

"Yes... This is what Scourge has chosen to call me.." Half-Face told him her mew full of sadness. Scourge snorted and flicked his tail indicating for her to follow. 

"Good luck. You'll be ok!" Cloudtail called. 

"What makes you say that?" Scourge called back menacingly before leaving through the entrance.  

"Is whatever you want with me going to hurt me?" Half-Face asked Scourge as he led her down the alleyways towards the forest. 

"I don't know yet", Scourge answered. He heard Half-Face take a deep breath. Eventually they reached the swampy camp which was now called Main Camp. Only the best and most loyal BloodClan cats stayed here. They all turned around, viciously glaring at Half-Face. Scourge held his chin high and led her to the edge. He led her into a thicket where nobody would hear them. 

"Do you have any idea in what I want?" Scourge wanted to hear what she thought. Half-Face seemed frozen. 

"Speak!" Scourge demanded loosing his temper with this she-cat. 

"I...I don't know", her voice trembled along with the rest of her as she cowered in the corner, her fur bristling.  Scourge shook his head. 

"Your scar", Scourge began, sitting down and wrapping his tail neatly over his paws ," How did you get it?" 

"It...it was a dog", Half-Face told him. Scourge suddenly wondered something. 

"Did this dog have anything to do with......Tigerstar?" Scourge asked.  

"Er.... Yes. He led them here. Me and my best friend Swiftpaw tried to fight them off ourselves to prove ourselves as warriors.... Swiftpaw died and I wasn't far off..." she explained. 

"That was foolish now wasn't it?" Scourge growled. How could any cat be so stupid? Was being a warrior that important. Scourge shook himself out of his thoughts.  

"I know... we were only young.." Half-Face sighed. 

"Your scar now.... It is fearful. It could scare a cat", Scourge told her. Half-Face looked crestfallen. 

"W...whats your point?" she shivered. 

"I know a job for you. It could get you better prey and a better camp. You can take that Cloudtail too..?" Scourge bribed. 

"What is this... job?" she asked. 

"Well.... there are certain trials for cats that join. I want to lead them to each camp and each one will have a different trial. One of them is going to be looking at you without flinching or being scared. And hey, the bribery is true but another thing to keep in mind is if you don't do it... I will kill you", Scourge told her. Half-Face fell to the ground, trembling. 

"No......My life cannot be this way! Why!" she cried. Scourge held up his paw and unsheathed his extremely long claws. 

"Is that your final decision? Because I wasn't joking about the killing you part!" Scourge ensured. It would be a shame. But hey, showing the amputated head of her could be just as scary, more even. But it would rot eventually so keeping her alive would be best, for now. 

"Wait yes! I...I'll do it if it is my only choice. And yes thank you, I will be taking Cloudtail..I mean er.....er.. If that would please you.." she changed her answer. Scourge grinned. 

"Then follow me and we'll go fetch that, Cloudtail", Scourge grinned. This was going perfectly. BloodClan will be all powerful. It would just take time..