Chapter 20

Scourge was awoken as Snake burst into his den. Scourge got up immediately. What was it? Was KillClan attacking? 

"S..Scourge.." he panted ," It's.... Brick. She's kitting!" he gasped. Scourge followed his gasp. 

"Show me!" he ordered and rushed after Snake to a hazel bush. He heard a cat yowling from inside. Cats were crowding round the entrance. 

"Clear off and get back to your duties!" Scourge yowled, anger starting to bubble in him as he barged past the nosey warriors. It was none of their business! He rushed in to see Brick yowling in her nest. Her belly kept convulsing strangely. Scourge felt panic rising inside him but was determined not to let it show. Pain glazed Brick's eyes. Scourge felt angry simply because he had no idea what to do or what was happening. Suddenly Bricks belly convulsed and a spasm shook her. Something small and slimy slid out her. Was that... a kit? Was that really what Scourge had looked like when he was first born? Brick smiled at the kit but her smile turned into a gasp of pain as her belly convulsed again and another kit popped out. Brick fell to the ground panting. Her belly stopped moving and now she lay on the ground gasping for air, her tail wrapped around her two new kits. Scourge was a father now. The realization made Scourge wobble a bit. 

"These are your kits Scourge. Say hello to them sweetie", Brick's meow was barely a whisper as she moved her tail aside. Scourge sniffed them and started to groom the slime from their pelts. Their colours became more clear. One was a she-kit and looked exactly like Scourge but the white paw was on her left leg instead of right like Scourge's. The other was russet like Brick but with white socks. The russet one was a tom-kit. Once Scourge had started grooming them they started to mewl. Scourge looked up at Brick. Her eyes shone. 

"Their.. beautiful", Scourge whispered. Beautiful? When was the last time Scourge had used that word? Had he ever? It felt new anyway. 

"They need names. I think this one that looks like you should be called Midnight. Her black fur is like the midnight sky and her paw is like the moon", Brick told him. 

"Midnight.. I like it.. This one should be called Condor. I heard they are like crows but big enough to carry off a small dog. He will grow up to be fierce as a condor", Scourge could already imagine these two kits becoming great leaders of BloodClan one day. Brick groomed them too. 

"I know you will train them to be the most ferocious little kits that ever lived", Scourge murmured before leaving the den. Cats stared at him as he exited. Scourge growled before jumping onto the jagged rock. These nosey BloodClan cats want to know what happened so he had to tell them.. 

"Brick has kitted!" Scourge yowled ," She has had two kits, and they are one day going to be the next leaders of BloodClan!" he announced briskly. He noticed some look flash in Snake's eyes. Was that.. jealously? Was he jealous because he might not be deputy forever? Scourge narrowed his eyes and jumped down. Venom came up to him. 

"Can I speak with you privately?" he asked. Scourge bared his teeth. That was how leaders spoke not lowly clan cats. 

"What? You can speak to me right here!" Scourge snarled. Venom looked slightly taken aback. 

"O..ok.. I just wanted to discuss how we met another patrol of KillClan cats. They are getting larger. They said the day after the battle they recruited another cat and today they could get another... There growth is rapid and I don't know what we can do", Venom told him. Scourge hissed. 

"I'm not afraid of that! KillClan can expand all they like! They will never be as strong as BloodClan! If your so afraid why don't you go join the twoleg place camp? I'm sure they would be very nice to you and no big scary kitties to frighten you", Scourge sneered. Venom narrowed his eyes and puffed out his chest. 

"I'm not afraid, I just feel maybe we should do something about", Venom argued. 

"Fine", Scourge agreed ," You can send out larger patrols. Tell them that next time they stumble across a KillClan patrol, they are to kill them all", Scourge hissed. Venom nodded, a malicious grin appearing on his face. 

"I will send out a patrol now", he bowed his head and went to gather cats. Scourge sighed as he watched how two cats would grooming themselves beside each other. How cats would fetch prey for each other. They were acting like forest cats! They were becoming soft! Scourge needed to find a way to toughen his cats up again. Perhaps another battle with KillClan would do well. But this battle wouldn't just be to save a cat. In this battle Scourge intended to kill Spirit and Dagger and end their clan for good. With no leader or deputy their clan would fall to pieces! Scourge smirked. That was what he would do. But not now. Soon... 

Scourge was with Brick. She was curled around Condor and Midnight who suckled at her belly. Scourge was determined to make sure they had a better start than he did. He would never let anyone throw them in a river... His brother and sister had told him that... That's why he had ran away. If anyone in BloodClan even dared throw one of his kits in the river he would slaughter them! Scourge lashed his tail just at the thought. He realized though that he had never asked Brick about her beginning. 

"Hey Brick, what was your kithood like", Scourge asked. 

"Oh, well.. I don't really remember it but I do remember when my...." Brick trailed off. 

"What? Did something go wrong?" Scourge tilted his head.  

"Well.. My mother.. she.. she died", Brick looked at her paws, sadness glazing her eyes. 

"How?" Scourge asked. 

"She was mauled by a dog.. in front of my own eyes..." Brick told him. 

"Oh... What about your father?" Scourge changed the subject of death. 

"Never met him", she meowed briskly ," What about you?" 

"Well.... You had better not tell a soul this, unless you want them dead but.. I used to be a kittypet", Scourge whispered. Brick just nodded. 

"That's normal for a twoleg place cat", Brick shrugged. 

"Hmm. Well I lived with my mother and my brother ans sister Socks and Ruby but..." 

"But?" 

"They weren't exactly the.. kindest siblings", 

"Since when did you care about kindness?" 

"When I was a kit I did! Nobody wanted to adopt me because I was so tiny so my siblings told me I was going to get thrown in the river because they didn't need or want me!" 

"You believed them?!" 

"I was a kit!" Scourge snarled. Suddenly his kits burst into a fit of mewing . Scourge stepped back. Brick narrowed his eyes at him. 

"Why do you only want to argue with me? Sometimes I feel pride is more important to you", Brick told him sharply before turning her back on him and curling around her kits. Scourge hissed though he wasn't exactly sure who he was hissing at, before leaving the den. Why does Brick think she can speak to me like that? Scourge thought angrily to himself before trudging into his den, shaking the snow from his paws, and laying down in his nest. Scourge sighed and let himself drift off to sleep.