Chapter 5

Greystripe led Frostfur over to the alley way where he put the chicken. A long furred grey tom with yellow eyes and a green collar came padding up to them. 

"Where are you two forest cats off to?" he asked in a growling voice. 

"I was scav- I mean hunting and I wanted to make sure I put enough in. She said seven pieces I think?" Greystripe pretended to remember a made up excuse he was making as he went. 

"Then why does she have to come?" the BloodClan tom challenged through narrowed his eyes. 

"Well, in case there's a fox or another stray trying to steal from it. I'm just trying to ensure our food is safe", Greystripe acted like he knew what he was doing yet he was still forcing his legs not to tremble. The tom growled. 

"Be back extremely soon or I'll know you're up to something!" he spat, and with that, he trotted away. 

"Come on! Quick!" Greystripe nudged Frostfur forward. They ran down the alley and into the clearing. Suddenly a thought struck him. He had said as an excuse that there could be foxes or strays and the BloodClan cat fell for it. Did that mean that foxes and other hungry cats were an actual threat? Greystripe banished the thought quickly. He noticed how Frostfur kept looking back and forth nervously. Greystripe didn't blame her. He walked up to one of the walls that surrounded the clearing. It looked just over a tree-length high. 

"Do you think you can jump that?" Greystripe asked. Frostfur was staring up the wall. 

"I have to", she replied, getting into a crouch. 

"Look! There are little cracks and dents. You could grip onto those with your claws!" Greystripe told her. Frostfur nodded. 

"Wait until I check nobody's following us", Greystripe growled suddenly feeling suspicious. He stared down the alleyway. Nobody there. He checked behind the Twoleg waste silvery things. Nothing. 

"Go!" he told Frostfur. Frostfur took a mighty leap and latched on about halfway up. She churned her hind legs trying to find a grip. The wall crumbled. 

"There! No a bit more that way! That's it!" Greystripe told her where to go and soon enough she reached the top. 

"Thank you so much Greystripe! Are you sure you don't want to come to? We will be free! Those flea-bitten BloodClan cats may be strong but we can outrun them!" she begged ,"Please?". Greystripe didn't know what to say. He wanted to run away so badly but what if they were caught? Greystripe made up his mind. 

"Goldenflower hasn't be-" Frostfur started. 

"I'm coming", he meowed. 

"Oh no your not!" snarled a voice behind him. 

"Run!" Frostfur yelped. Greystripe leaped up the wall and scrambled up. Frostfur grabbed his scruff and hauled him up. He saw the grey tom they had asked before and three other BloodClan cats. 

"Get down here now you mangy mousehearts!" the grey tom snarled getting ready to jump. Greystripe leaped down from the wall and ran for it. Frostfur followed at his heels. They ran through a maze of allyways. Please don't reach a dead end, please don't reach a dead end Greystripe repeated silently. Greystripe sighed with relief as he saw the ally open up into a monster path. Twolegs passed by and they screeched as Greystripe, Frostfur and the other four BloodClan cats all pelted out from the ally at top speed. Greystripe saw the forest from over a shiny mesh thing. 

"Get ready to jump!" Greystripe warned. He sprang over the mesh and landed on the other side. He quickly checked to see if Frostfur had also made it and continued running. He noticed that the BloodClan cats had fallen behind a bit because one of their cats tails had got stuck in the mesh. Mousbrains Greystripe hissed silently to himself. They ran through the forest easily dodging the bramble thickets. They couldn't he caught by any other BloodClan cats though. If they were caught they were dead. He decided to go through tall pines and then around ShadowClan's old territory. He knew a perfect route from when he and Firestar had saved WindClan. A pang of sadness hit Greystripe as he thought of his dead friend. Scourge had mercilessly slaughtered him so he could take every ThunderClan cat without trouble. Greystripe imagined how much better things would be if they had won. How much better life would be. Maybe he would have found a new mate. He would be able to see his beautiful kits again. Greystripe started getting this horrid feeling. It wasn't exactly sadness more just emptiness. The ran for what felt like seasons until finally due to there experience of running through thick vegetation they finally lost them. Greystripe was exhausted. Frostfur was gasping for air. 

"I don't think I've ran like that since I was an apprentice!" Frostfur gasped. She looked happy. Greystripe was shocked by this, but maybe... he should be happy too? They just escaped torture! They were safe! But now what? They had no home. 

"We need to get moving. Just because we're ahead of them doesn't mean they've stopped looking!" Frostfur broke his thoughts. 

"Your right. But where do we go now?" Greystripe asked. Frostfur looked aroud. 

"Let's just continue this way!" Frostfur suggested. She was right. The only way they could go without being caught is straight on. He knew there was a weird Twoleg field in the way but they could pass that hopefully.  Greystripe took in a long, deep breathe. 

"Ok. Let's go" 

The two pelted off through the edge of the marsh and into the Twoleg field. They ran as they went across it at such a speed Greystripe knew that no Twoleg could catch him! They reached the tree-line and pushed through. Greystripe collapsed gratefully onto the moss laden ground. Frostfur did the same. 

"We....we did it! We escaped! And...we're alive!" she gasped in delight. Greystripe smiled too.  They had really made it! 

"But..We have left so much family behind us", Greystripe sighed. 

"Well....Let's just think about how happy we should be! How happy do you think your kits will be when they discover you escaped. They will be proud to be your kits and very happy for you!" Frostfur told him. Greystripe inhaled and nodded. Suddenly, as he sat up he realised how hungry he was. 

"We should go hunting", Greystripe suggested. Frostfur nodded. 

"We'll meet back here", Frostfur told him. Greystripe nodded and padded off into the unknown forest. Who knew what awaited them?