Chapter 5

Emily awoke to a steady thump-thump beneath her ear. Though sounding vaguely familiar, she was too comfortable to contemplate what made the rhythm. Delicious warmth cradled her snugly and she felt loathe to move. Until Emily tried to turn her head and received a stiff neck for her trouble. Where was she?...The night before came flooding back, and Emily realized what exactly rest beneath her head.  Or rather; whom. Inching upwards, Emily raised her head, and then flopped back onto Shane McNeal’s chest. Groaning inwardly, mentally kicking herself around the block for putting herself in this predicament, the widow jumped as the raspy rumble of his voice halted all mental chastisement.

                “I guess you did sleep with the boss. Literally,” drawled Shane McNeal’s scratchy voice, vibrating beneath her ear. Emily swiftly rose above him, jaw dropping. But before she could reply, another voice intruded; a decidedly less sexy voice.

                “Mom? Mr. McNeal? What are you doing down here on the couch? We have to get ready for school or we’ll all be late!” The voice belonged to ten-year-old Dana, standing behind the couch staring at the two sleepy adults. Emily shot a murderous look at Shane, innocence personified as he lay on his back watching Emily clamber off him. The look she shot him said she would deal with his earlier comment later as she hustled to make up for lost time. Stacking his hands behind his head and staring at the ceiling, Shane mused over the fact he had slept with his housekeeper and couldn’t be happier.

                Shane listened to the commotion going on around him in the house, sitting up as the troops descended for imminent departure. Furrowing his brow while watching Emily gather her purse and shout for one of the missing kids, Shane asked, “What car do you drive?”

                Emily cast a harried glance at Shane.

                “My station wagon out front. Why?”

                The author unfolded himself from the couch and ambled over to the front door, looking out.

                “That antique? Hell, I thought that was my neighbor’s housekeeper’s car. My housekeeper can’t be seen driving that!” He headed to the hall closet, opened it, and snagged a set of keys off a hook, tossing them to Emily, who caught them in midair without thinking. “Take the Range Rover.  It needs to be driven more anyway.”

                Emily stared down at the keys, then back at Shane. “I-I have to have the car seats for the twins.”

                “Fine. We’ll change them over when you get back. You really fit everyone in that heap?” Shane’s eyes twinkled myopically without his glasses, and Emily couldn’t help but smile back.

                “Yes, for quite a few years, actually.”

                “That’s obvious. When was that car new, anyway? During the Carter Administration?”

                Emily couldn’t help it. A giggle burbled out of her mouth, and she turned away quickly, embarrassed at her reaction. Covering herself by hollering once more for her kids, who said good-bye to Shane, they all tramped out. Shane bee-lined for the stairs, intent on using his quiet time to good advantage.

***

                When Emily returned to the house, using the elevator to the main floor, she smelled coffee brewing. After being out in the mist the warm house and homey smell had her sniffing deep with eyes closed. Once inside the family room she spied Shane standing at the closed French doors, coffee cup in hand, staring out at the calm, gray ocean. He half-turned as she entered.