Chapter 13

School now officially over for the year, and  with only three days until the dreaded party with the rich and famous, Emily decided to have a girl’s day out with Dana, shopping and lunch at the ritzy Newport Beach outdoor mall, Fashion Island. Her daughter was on cloud nine, gaining one-on-one time with her mom being a high commodity. Picking out some nice clothes for Dana had been a joy; shopping for herself? Not so fun. Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s had already turned up zip, but Nordstrom’s held a couple of promising dresses, so now they took a break for lunch at the Nieman Marcus tea room overlooking the shopping mall.

                “This is so much fun, Mom! I love my new shorts, and the little necklace. Do you think I could wear them to cheer camp next week?” Emily had splurged a bit on her children this summer, letting each one pick a week-long camp to participate in. Dana’s was cheer, Danielle’s was Vacation Bible School, the twins were in preschool, because she had to face it, they needed social skills, and Darcy? Darcy was in a painting class, something she never would have guessed interested her second oldest, but it seemed to fit her to a tee.

                “Of course, sweetie. That’s what we bought them for, for you to wear.” Emily smiled at the waiter as he delivered them each hot popovers before their main course.

                 Showing Dana how to break it apart and butter it with the accompanying strawberry butter, Emily continued, “I like shopping with you, hon. You have been a lot of help today.”

                Dana beamed, sitting up straight and copying her mom’s moves carefully. Taking a bite, she resorted to kid manners by speaking with her mouth full.

                “I think you should buy the red and black lace dress, Mom. It looks like you’re rich. If you got some really pointy high heels it would be perfect.”

                Personally, Emily concurred. It wasn’t red as much as burgundy, with a black lace overlay. Being strapless, it came with an accompanying black lace bolero jacket. Stilettos would finish the look off, definitely, if she could manage tottering around in them for the evening. Buying the thigh-high hosiery she also had in mind would be her little secret, to be unveiled at the right moment. Her heart flipped over when she pondered that “right moment,” as well as how they would be unveiled, and by whom.

                God, the man crept into her mind a thousand times a day, turning her insides to mush. She had it bad for Shane McNeal, and she could only ride it out. She had no will power when it came to him. A smile, a look, a touch—she became his molding clay, to shape the way he wanted. She found herself wishing the day away so that another night in his arms could begin again. She craved his touch, his kiss, the erotic words he whispered in her ear as he took her body and soul to that pinnacle they would soar off together nightly.

                “Don’t you think so, Mom?”

                Momentarily confused, Emily stared at her daughter blankly, mentally scrambling to pick up the conversation from where they’d left off before she’d begun having imaginary sex with Shane McNeal.

                “What, honey?” She finally threw in the towel and asked for help.

                “I asked if you thought high heels would be good with that dress.”

                Thankfully Dana seemed engrossed in her popover and didn’t notice her mom’s inattention or flushed face.

                “Yes, yes, I think they would look great. I just don’t know if I could walk in them for very long.”