Chapter 18

Williamsburg, Virginia, Late September

                “Well, Sis, you did okay for yourself here, y’know that?” Annalise said to Emily, holding a glistening glass of iced tea to her cheek because of the humidity. She plopped down into one of the Adirondack chairs Emily and the children had bought and refinished with their many handprints in vivid, primary colors.

                Emily glanced around the shady rear yard, nodding slightly as they both watched the children playing croquet with some friends from school who lived in neighboring townhouses. She thought she had done okay as well, seeing as how they’d moved to her sister’s hometown of Williamsburg, Virginia, barely two months ago after leaving Shane and Darrell’s parents.

                They’d bunked in Annalise’s four-bedroom home for nearly a month before Emily managed to rent this three-bedroom, end -unit townhome with a common backyard area large enough for her family to play in. The sleeping arrangements were tight: Dana and Darcy in one room, the three little ones in another.

                 She kept the master to herself, needing some space for privacy, but mainly using it to cry herself to sleep most nights, stifled under a pillow so the children wouldn’t hear. The move had been traumatic for them all. The first week consisting of tears and tantrums across country, and while it seemed the kids had finally forgiven her and were adjusting, surprisingly, Emily appeared to be the one resisting reconciling to her new life.

                “Thanks, Anna. You guys were real champs putting up with all of us. Have y’all recovered?” And then she covered her mouth, realizing she had said the dreaded Southern “Y’all,” causing her sister to burst out laughing.

                “Oh, my goodness! You said it! You said y’all! Now you’re a true Southerner!” Annalise squealed, while Emily laughed with her and the children paused in their game to look back at the slap-happy adults before returning to their pastime.

                “I guess I am feeling at home,” agreed Emily, relaxing in her chair. It had been an upsetting two months for her and her family, but Emily felt they were beginning to settle in. Since school had started, all the children had met kids their own age and were getting play dates and invitations out; even the twins, whom she had placed in pre-kindergarten for their socialization.

                The move had affected them both the hardest, and their social skills reflected their anxiety. David’s stuttering increased, which in turn reminded Emily of Shane’s kindness towards her son, and brought the blasted tears to her eyes. She couldn’t go five minutes without thinking about him.

                “Well, it’s a pretty nice home, you’ve gotta admit,” Annalise commented. She was proud of her sister, travelling across country by herself, finding a job and a home for her family, all with minimum help from herself and her husband.

                “Yeah, but the weather bites, Sis,” and Emily swiped her forehead with her arm. “I thought it would be a lot cooler here by now.”

                “You’re in the South, now, honey. It’s like a sauna, and then there’s winter. Now, how are all of you holding up, really?” Annalise narrowed her green eyes on Emily, who shifted uneasily in her chair under her sister’s scrutiny.

Six and Countingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें