Chapter 17

Twenty minutes later, Emily reentered her bedroom, only to find the object of all her emotional upheaval awake and looking at her. His gaze laser sharp, she could only hope the traces of her tears had dissipated in the ocean breeze.

                Armed with an iron-clad decision and bolstered by her sister’s stanch support, Emily nevertheless found herself wavering as Shane McNeal patted the bed beside his prone body and said lasciviously, “C’mere, little girl. Have I got a treat for you!”

                With the sheet stretched over his body as it was, Emily could see exactly how good a “treat” he offered her. Her shoulder angels had returned, and once more the goody-two-shoes angel told her to stay strong and go feed the children, while the demon-angel urged Emily to partake in one last steamy fling, so that last night would not be the final memory of her time with Shane McNeal. For Emily’s mind was made up; she and her family needed to break away before it became any worse than it already was shaping up to be. Shane was like Peter Pan; not quite ever growing up. His excitement over being on a tabloid cover far outweighed his concern over how the fallout might affect her and her family.

                 If he had at least once shown outrage at how she had been portrayed, Emily might not have come to the difficult decision of departure; however, his reaction only solidified her opinion that Shane would never be ready for a committed, long-term, happily ever after. He was a good- time Charlie, and he had perfected the good times he could show a woman, as long as they were short term.

                  Knowing this now, plus accepting Shane’s own very persuasive appearance, Emily sided with her demon-angel for one last time. Slowly she pulled her nightie over her head, padding deliberately over to the bed. Shane’s perusal sharpened as he watched her stop at the side of the bed in only those lacy underpants she seemed to have purchased by the dozen.

                “The kids will be getting up soon, so we don’t have a lot of time,” she commented, leaning her hands on the mattress next to him, breasts taunting him by their proximity.

                “Well, the compass is already pointing north, so we won’t have to waste time finding that,” and Shane’s arm snaked out, hooking Emily’s waist and swinging her on top of him. With his free hand he attempted to pull that lacy scrap she called underwear off, but a tearing sound momentarily stilled them.

                 Damning the torpedoes, Shane went full steam ahead, ripping them off Emily while saying laconically, “They did a piss-poor job of covering your ass anyway.”

                Before she could let out more than a quick, startled squawk, Shane rolled her under him, latching his hungry mouth onto her breast and sucking deeply, sighing, changing Emily’s laugh into a moan of desire. The demon-angel definitely had the right idea.

                Shane’s mouth moved from breast to breast, and in between, sending such exquisite sensations straight to Emily’s center, her very core throbbing as his lips covered her skin hungrily, incoherent words breathed against her as he crossed her body with open mouth and dancing fingers. Finally his wicked mouth returned to hers, devouring her lips much as he’d done to her body, and his words whispered below and along her earlobe became sentences Emily could understand.

                “God, Emily, don’t ever be that tired again in the night. Ask me for help around here, anything, just...once is never enough with you, sweetheart. I have to be inside you,” and he slid into her, having readied himself at some point. Groaning, he laid his forehead against hers, nibbling on any part of her face he could reach; lips, nose, and eyes, nearly frantic even as he built a slow, agonizing rhythm within her.