Chapter 12

Fourth of July fireworks exploded behind Emily’s eyelids, all the colors of the rainbow, while those same explosions took off within her body, sending her skyrocketing towards millions of shards of light. Barely aware of her surroundings, Emily soared into her first orgasm over two years in the making, flying in all directions yet becoming one simultaneously.

                Afterwards, vaguely aware of Shane rolling aside so as not to crush her, Emily felt too sated to move, luxuriating in the lack of tenseness within her body. For once worry of how the kids were coping was not paramount in her mind; in fact, naming them in order might prove to be too difficult at this moment! All she wanted to do was remain floating on the afterglow. Turning to the side, she drifted on the edges of sleep, loose-limbed and drowsy.

                Gentle fingers gliding along her bare back, pausing at her bottom, momentarily awakened Emily some time later. Along with his feather light touch, Shane’s voice rumbled behind her.

                “I killed her; I knew I would. I’m just too potent for my own good...”

                Lips curving despite her languor, Emily replied lazily, “Shut up.”

                Shane nuzzled her neck from behind, causing Emily’s eyes to close on a sigh and butterflies to start fluttering deep within her as he growled, “Shut up? You dare say shut up to me? Just you wait, once the troops have rallied, so to speak, I’ll demand your respect—“

                Suddenly wide awake and with renewed purpose, Emily gave in to temptation and turned the tables on Shane. Rolling quickly to face him, she pushed him onto his back and rose above him even as the moonlight reflected on her pale skin. Shane’s expression became intent as he looked up at the woman pinning him deliciously to the bed, her hands splayed on his chest. Playfully she shifted slightly, eliciting a groan from him.

                “Mmmm, Captain, I think the troops are ready. Shall we deploy?” Emily drawled as she leaned over him for one of those handy packets he’d supplied.

                Shane took advantage of the body parts she presented in her forward moving position, kneading with fingers and laving with tongue until she moved to take him in, but he rolled them over, saying roughly in her ear, “Slow this time, remember? I want all of you screaming for me now.”

                He bent his head to hers, lips meeting tenderly, gently, as if they had all the time in the world. He didn’t stay too long, however; soon he began nibbling along her jaw, down her neck. Emily stretched her neck, allowing him better access even as she tried to turn to capture his lips. Shane would have none of it; his mouth and tongue slipped on down, touching shoulders, collarbone, and finally breasts.

                “So perfect,” he breathed over her, causing goose bumps and shivers all along Emily’s skin while suckling first one breast, then the other, until she was begging him to finish her off.

                “Not yet, sweetheart,” and then he was moving downwards, kissing every inch of her body. What he didn’t kiss, his sorcerer’s hands touched, till she was on fire from the inside out, burning for him, near to tears, until Shane took pity (on her or himself, he wasn’t quite sure) and  slipped into her. Knowing she was on the edge, he managed to prolong the pleasure just enough so that when Emily finally dove over that precipice, he joined her, feeling himself so deep within he didn’t think he’d find his way out.

                Afterwards only gasps for air filled the room, until Shane eventually dragged himself off Emily, whose body resembled a rag doll, as he flopped to his back, picking up their earlier conversation while camouflaging the strength of emotion engendered by their lovemaking.