CHP 4: Getting Along

Norman and I were at the table drinking our coffee in silence. I wanted to know him better since we were possibly gonna be neighbors for a long time.

"So Norman," I started, breaking the silence "where were you living before?"

He looked up from his mug to meet his eyes with mine, the way he did it always weirded me out. Not in a bad way, it was just... different.

"I still lived in Florida before movin ere in the neighborhood, but i lived about... 2 hours away from this town. i spent most of my life in New York tho." He told me. I gave him a strange look.

"Why did you leave New York for this shit hole?" I asked. He smiled but hesitated to explain.

"Well, i believe we can find good in anythin." He said looking tense. "Nomatter... how "shitty" things appear to be."
He was hiding something, i knew it. Those eyes and that tone of his made it obvious.

"That's a good enough answer, i suppose." I lied of course. I wished he told me more.

"And what about you?" Norman started.

"Born and bred here." I answered. "It sucks because everyone in this huge town knows about me"

"Why you?" He asked all curious. I really didn't know the answer to be completely honest. Well maybe i sorta did.

"I don't know, Norman. I guess a part of the reason is i never ever felt the need to blend in with the crowd. It kinda makes me uncomfortable. Most people around my age and younger share a lot of similarities here and that's why they blend in unlike me, so of course... I stand out."

"True. Also, just so ya know, out of everyone in that club you were the only one who stood out to me.. In a good way." He told me truthfully. "And you weren't even dressed like some attention seeker or worse, a crack whore"
i nearly choked on my coffee..
"Sorry" he said as he failed to hide his smirk.
"Yeah, im not really into the tight dresses, short skirts and fish nets etc..." i studied Norman's facial expressions, he seemed to be really into this random conversation.
"anyway, What were you doing there besides spying on me? ya old pervert" I joked. He grinned then gave me the finger. I chuckled in response.

"I can imagine how strange i must've looked sitting by myself, drinkin whisky while surrounded by drunken students dancing to electronic nonsense."
I noddded in agreement.
"In all seriousness, Bree, my good friend, Jeffrey had his first night shift there and he needed company. I was the only friend available." Norman simply explained.

"Well, it makes perfect sense now at least." I said. Norman bit his bottom lip. He would do that quite often, like if he was growing more anxious as time went by while still trying to be talkative with me.

"You okay?" I asked. His head shot up and quickly nodded.

"Yeh" he answered while checking his phone. "I better get goin soon, theres stuff i needa get done." I knew it had something to do with whoever he was yelling at on the phone last night. I knew it was none of my business but i still kept thinking of what all the stress could be about. family, money problems, an ex? Who knows.

"We should do this again some time." He suggested as he pulled out a black leather wallet from his jean pocket. He took out a 50 dollar bill and placed it on the table. His eyes conected with mine once again.
"I'll give ya this if it helps. I may as well hand you some now so you can get a new window up sooner. I'll pay off the rest when i can."

"Thanks." Was all i could say. He gave a short nod and left.

-----------------------------------
*Norman's POV*

I wished i could have stayed longer, it's just that I had my mentally unstable step father on my mind. He said he'd be here by 10:30 this morning to fetch the coke i had packed for him and god knows what horrid state he'd be in by then. I was sick of doin his nasty work, i didn't want nothin to do with this drug dealing shit anymore. I could not wait until this bullshit ended once and for all. I have been running for too long and I desperately needed a fresh start. Right here, in this town is where i wanted to be.

I checked my wallet as i dropped on my seat and stared down at the 30 dollars i had left to last me the rest of the week for food. I was gonna use the 50 for my cigarettes and jack daniels but i put that shit aside for Brianna's sake. I decided fixing the damage I caused was more important. It felt good on some level but maybe im just goin a lil crazy. I can't remember the last time i did something like that for a stranger. The only people i do shit for in my will are my best friends, Jeffrey and Andrew. Brianna, well... i still gotta figure that woman out before i get too carried away. If i was to be too kind right now she might be one of those girls who take advantage of it and take my shit. Like why else would a woman as stunning and unique as Bree choose to stick around with a man like me who's twice her damn age, drives trucks as my main job and isn't even appealing to look at? What would happen if i finished paying the 400 dollars? She'd probably tell me where to get. Why do i even care? I've already  been used for 8 years by a woman i thought i loved, Jane. It was never real to begin with and now here i am avoiding danger every single day. There are people out to get me. Mainly junkies and drug dealers my ex use to get along with when we lived our lives in New York. I layed back, staring at the ceiling of my new house. At least this was something to be proud of. I worked hard for this place and was no longer paying rent in old apartments.

"Norman! You got the stuff?!"
Jesus Christ Dad, keep the volume down.