CHP 9: Thank You

We sat in the living room. Andrew, Jeffrey and myself were on the couch while Norman sat in the arm chair in front of us.
"Thanks for comin" He said.
"There was no reason why we shouldn't." Andrew spoke up. "After what i heard from Jeff." Norman hung his head down in shame.

"Look" Jeffrey started. "We're here to sort this out, not bash on one another." He said directing it to us all.

"Look I know, I'm just slightly offended that Norman didn't think of speaking to us before trying to-"

"Guys," Norman cut Andrew off. "I did think of contacting you, but i thought at that moment it was a bad idea to drag you both into my fucked up situation with..." He trailed off remembering i was apart of the conversation.

"Um.. i can leave if-"
"No need for that, it's all good." Jeffery cut me off. "Norman, you stay here and talk with Andrew while i take your friend out to the back porch." Norman nodded as a thank you and both Jeff and i headed for the back door. On the porch was a round glass table with an ash tray sitting on top and two chairs on each side of the table, we took a seat each. He searched the pockets of his coat pulling out a pack off cigarettes and a lighter.

"Do you smoke?" He asked looking towards me.

"Sometimes." I answered. It was true though, Tara got me into the habit. She wanted to look cool but she eventually quit. I only used it as a way to cope with stress and i only stopped for Alex. He would tell me it was unattractive.
Jeffery smiled and handed me a cig and then popped one in his mouth flicking the light onto it.

"Well what harm could it do, eh." I said.
"A lot." He joked. "So Bree, I've seen you around before."
"The club?" I asked. "Norman mentioned you worked there" Jeff shook his head.
"Before that. I have ran into to you a while back." He told me.

"Yeah i thought you looked familiar." I said. "I'm guessing you're from here?"

"That's right. You were with your mother, i knew her quite well and we use to go to highschool together."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, we weren't close but we got along. She had a wonderful nature and was very intelligent. You remind me of her, in fact."

"You don't know me." I said smiling.

"Oh i can see it."

"How to you know Norman?" I asked. "Isn't he new in town?"

"A few years back, Andrew introduced him to me and since then, the three of us became close."
I nodded. He then put out his cigarette and looked me dead in the eyes.
"Thank you." He said. "Norman sure is lucky to have you as a neighbor. He told me on the phone what you did, how you heard all the noise and came to his rescue."

"It's no problem." I told him. "I knew i had to go in there, something wasn't right."

"Yep, always trust yer instincts."

Just as i began to speak, we heard the back door open and out came Norman and Andrew. I could see they were both in a better mood.

"All good?" Jeff asked. Norman nodded. Andrew walked towards me and rested a hand on my shoulder. He gave me a warm smile like he was also thanking me.

"You smoke, eh?" Norman asked in surprise, looking down at the finshed cancer stick between my fingers. I forgot i even had it.

"Yeah." I said as i squished it in the ash tray.

"You're too pretty for that." Andrew added, standing back besides Norman. I blushed a little. Norman slightly hit Andrews arm.

"C'mon, cut it out" Norman quietly said.
"Ay, i can take a compliment." I told him. Andrew grinned at Norman like a smart ass.
"Don't be jealous, sweetheart." Andrew joked putting an arm around him. "You know i love you"
We all laughed at Normans expression, he nudged Andrew off and shook his head.
"Yer a dumbass" He mumbled.

------------------------------------
*Norman's POV*

Andrew was such a dag, embarrassing me in front of Brianna but i wouldn't know what to do without him. We could read each other like books and i knew he could sense i had slight interest in her.

"Alright you lot," Jeff spoke, breaking the awkwardness. "Lets go out and do somethin instead of goofin around."

"Where are we heading off to?" Andrew asked.

"For a ride." Was all he said. He got up and looked down at Bree. "You're more than welcome to join us."
She smiled and followed us inside. Jeffery grabbed his keys from My kitchen bench and Andrew guided Bree out the front door like a gentleman with me following behind. I wondered how she felt getting all this attention from grown men. I guess our company was much better than her being around some silly, college girls.
Bree and I took the back seat as Andrew would always claim the front. The ride started off quiet with only Andrew and Jeffery chatting amongst each other with the radio on.

"Seriously, where are we heading to?" I heard Andrew ask.
"I told you all, a ride." He said. Both Andrew and I rolled our eyes. "You like horses, Bree?" He asked, eyeing through the mirror. Oh shit. I thought.
"Yeah but i never really had much experience with them." Bree answered.
"Why didn't you just tell us were goin to the damn ranch?" I asked getting annoyed.
"Because, i knew you'd rather stay home" he simply answered. "Chèer up, we got booze there too" he finished.
"Then I'm in!" Cheered Andrew.
"Whatever." I mumbled. On the corner of my eye, i could see a smirk form on Brianna's face. At least she felt okay with us, otherwise this would have been awkward. We finally pull up on a dirt track.

"Open the gate, will ya?" Jeff told Andrew.

------------------------------
*Brianna's POV*

It had been ages since i'v been to a ranch. Last time i went, my mother and douch father brought my little sister and i there years ago. This brought memories but mostly bad ones. One of the horses broke a leg and my father put it down right in front of us showing no remorse at all. My sister Yarni, cried for hours and all our dad said was "suck it up, princess." I expected nothing else from him but it was still uncalled for.

The four of us walked towards the old looking house across the feild. The view was lovely. It was so open and there were no buildings in site. The country life was what i wished i had to be honest. Norman and I waited outside as Jeffery and Andrew entered the house to get some things.

"Why wouldn't you want to come here?" I asked Norman. He chuckled to himself and glanced over at me with his squinty eyes.
"You would laugh if i told ya."
"I bet i won't" i said with a smirk. He paused for a long moment trying to find the right words.
"Horses scare the crap outta me" He admitted.
"Im guessing you had bad experience."
"The first day i met Jeffery, he took me here and we were like... drunk off our minds and i got the crazy idea to jump on one of the horses without any idea on how to handle it." He said. "And... you can predict what happened next.."
"Well maybe it's best to not drink so much today." I told him.
"It's hard to resist when you got these two who can't keep away from the stuff every time we go out."
"Well it's your choice, Norm. If you wanna be attacked by a threatened horse then be my guest." I joked.
"Fair call." Was all he could say. He smiled and pulled a cigarette from his pocket. The front door swang open and out came Andrew and Jeff with the whisky and some glasses. They placed everything on the table out on the veranda.
"Norman, care for a drink!?" Jeff teased.
"Nah, you two enjoy yourselves while Bree and I go to the stables!" I got excited and smiled up at Norman. I was glad he made a decent decision.

A couple hours passed and the time was well spent. Norman got to face his fears and take me out riding without any troubles.
"See, things work out in the end when sober." I told Norman as we took all the gear off the stallion i was riding on.
"Mm." He grunted in response.

"Thanks" I said as i stoked the horse's mane. "It was fun"

"I will admit," he started. "I was shit scared most of the time" I scoffed in response. "You know, Bree. You're quite mature for yer age."

"Gee, you're acting like I'm only 18" i said.
"But most people don't act responsibly, ya know? You seem like you got everythin goin for ya, and i respect that." He finished. His eyes met with mine, i gave him a warm smile and he tightened his lips together like he usually would when feeling nearvous.
"Thanks." I told him.
"Yer welcome." He quietly spoke. He then broke eye contact for a moment suddenly looking uncomfortable.

"You okay?" I asked.
"Yeah," He said. "Lets meet with the others, it's gettin dark."
And with that, we made our way to the old house where we spotted both Andrew and Jeff sitting on the porch.