12

Chapter 12:

With the last couple of months of the school year trickling along, Louis and Harry were much too preoccupied with marking and studying for final exams to call each other much less text. After their long conversation that resulted in tears and forever's, Louis was more than happy with the way their relationship was going.

Four years was a long time, yes but, they were soon approaching a year in their long distance relationship and if Louis survived a year, then he sure as hell could survive three more. Like he told Harry, he wanted for him to come home the right way and not because he missed him.

Two hours away, Harry was shoving dirty clothes in one of the laundromats. He flicked in two coins and stood back, watching a flurry of colors blur by. He shoved his hands in his pockets, just watching. The laundromat store was fairly deserted with a few people lingering by so Harry pulled out his phone. He dialed Louis' number and waited for the call to pick up.

He tapped his phone on the tile anxiously. It went straight to voicemail. Harry frowned and pressed the phone to his cheek and shoulder, his smile faltering.

"Hey it's Louis. Leave a message."

"Hi."

Miles away, Louis was mirroring him like always, trying to reach him. The call cut straight to voicemail. His eyebrows pinched together, raising his rucksack where it was sliding down his shoulder. He jogged down the steps of the school and looked over to see boys running around in the pitch. Harry's low voice murmured in his ear.

"Hey, this is Harry and I can't come to the phone right now but please leave a message. And your name too!"

"Hey, it's me." He glanced at his watch and looked back up, noticing the sun dipping down the horizon. "It is 5:03."

The next couple of seconds were Harry and Louis talking to each other on the voicemail, unaware that they were both on the phone on the other line as well.

"I figured I'd catch you walking to your car but—"

"I guess you must be out or something."

"I'll leave a message."

"Is it me or are we just a little off today?"

"I guess it's just one of those days. It'll get better."

"Hope you didn't have any major laundry issues."

"I finished my laundry. Got all my socks. Nothing like that time that crazy guy pushed you."

"Hey do you remember that time I helped you do your laundry and that crazy guy came in and started yelling at you?"

"And then remember we went shopping the next day to buy me a washer and dryer?"

"And here you are back in laundromat. Now I'm just trying to help you Styles. Be safe."

"You're probably upset I'm even at the laundromat right now but don't worry I'm being safe. And I'm headed home. I'm headed to my dorm not home."

"Wish you were home. Anyway."

"Anyway, um. Miss you."

"I miss you."

Louis ended the call with a click, figuring that was a good place to finish. By the time he had gotten to the end of his voicemail, he was inside his car, backing out of the parking lot. He started driving home and plugged his iPhone in, Sia's raspy yet strong voice filling the inside of the car.