h e a t h e r s

Heather - The flower of solitude.

-

The hidden packet of skittles crunched loudly every time Elnora took a piece out. Usually she'd never eat the sweet one at a time. She'd pile out all the similar flavours together, and then shove them into her mouth. There may have been one too many incidents of Elnora almost choking on skittles but in her defence, she just wants to take 'yolo' to a whole different level.

The reason why she was eating in secrecy was because employees weren't allowed to eat during working hours.

To heck with that.

The real reason was because she didn't want to share her skittles with Tory. Not because she hated Tory or anything, but because Elnora simply couldn't share food. She can't say that she tried anyway.

In her peripheral vision, Elnora could see her co-worker approaching. She quickly munched on the sweets in her mouth and prayed to God that Tory wouldn't notice.

Tory slammed her hands down the counter gently with a tired sigh. "Can I take an early leave today?"

"Hmm?" Elnora gazed down, not looking at Tory as her tongue swiped the inside of her mouth, clearing any evidence of skittles.

"I'm beyond exhausted. Can you cover up the rest of my shift?" Tory looked pretty worn out with her frizzy red hair out of place and dark circles under her eyes and Elnora found herself nodding her head.

"Thanks, Nor. You're the best." Tory said as she took her bag from under the counter and rearranged her pony. "I would've said that I owed you, but since your eating all by yourself, I don't think I do."

Elnora choked on her own saliva and started coughing like a 80 year old lady who had asthma. Tory patted her on the back and chuckled softly. "Im sure that the people all the way in the Antarctic could hear the wrapper."

"I don't think anyone lives in the Antarctic except for penguins and polar bears." Was the first thing Elnora said when she finished her coughing fit. She was greeted with a beautiful sight the moment she stood straight. Tory's blank face.

"Can you not let anything be?" She said as she shook her head with an amused smile. "Nope."

After Tory left, Elnora grinned to herself and took the packet out and placed it on the counter. Now that she was free, she could eat in peace. Or so she thought.

Archer waltzed lazily into the shop with both his hands inside the pockets of his sweatpants. He was sporting a 5 o'clock shadow and his hair grew a tad bit longer since the last time she saw him.

"Look who finally decided to show up after five days." Elnora smiled coldly at him. "Welcome to Eden's Flower Garden. My name is Elnora Constantine. How may I be of service?"

He winced at the tone of her voice. Just when Elnora thought that she could discover more about Archer, he goes and disappears for the next five days without a warning. She was genuinely worried for him at first, but worry later turned into anger.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I just- I didn't know-"

"Save your trash talk for someone who cares. Are you going to buy flowers or not?"

Archer meekly nodded his head and walked forward. Elnora would rather have her left arm chopped into tiny pieces than to admit to herself that she missed walking to this particular spot of the flower shop with this particular person. 

"Go ahead and take your pick, Sir."

The hand that gripped Elnoras elbow tightly was firm and enormous and most definitely sudden. The rage within her was transforming into confusion. She glared at Archer coldly as she tried to shake his hand off. "What do you want?"

"Hear me out? Please? Just hear me out." Elnoras locked jaw and said nothing.

"I'm sorry okay?" He said while running a hand through his jet black hair. "I always wondered when the aftermath of the breakup would hit me and guess what? It did. Turns out, angers not the only thing I feel towards her. For some stupid reason, I miss her and it fucking sucks."

A lump started forming itself in Elnoras throat as her anger completely dissipated into pity. She felt sad for the boy in front of her. He looked so vulnerable and tired. Standing this close, Elnora could see his prominent eyebags. She felt guilty for being mad at him in the first place. 

"The past few days have been nothing but hell. I couldn't bring myself to eat Elnora. How would you expect me to come all the way here?"

A complete minute passed before Elnora spoke up. "Jesus, Archer. Don't bottle it up. The next time you go through something like that, it's best if you tell someone." He was about to reply had Elnora not cut him off.

"I was worried about you okay? You enter this freaking shop with all your glory, befriend me and then decide to hibernate for a couple of days like it's completely normal and expect me not to think of the worst."

"Stop smiling you idiot. This is in no way funny." She punched his shoulder but it was ineffective seeing that he didn't even move an inch. On the other hand, it just made him smile even wider.

"Look, I know we're not the closest of friends and that we're practically strangers, but I care and I'm here if you need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on. Got it?"

Archers coffee brown eyes shone brighter as he gave her a half smile. "Got it. And I'm sorry again."

"Whatever, douche bag. Just take your freaking flowers and leave." She tried to say it in an aloof manner but she couldn't refrain from smiling. "But not like, for five days again."

After he announced the flower of his choice, Elnora got to work. She was curious as to why he picked Heathers of all flowers. She saw no way in which they could be transformed into something sassy for they stood for either good luck or solitude depending on the buyers intentions.

"Well then, Archibald. What's the note of the day?" She asked and he voiced his thoughts with a sad smile.

Heather. Solitude.
My phone doesn't light up
the way that it used to.