d a f f o d i l s

Daffodils - The flower of new beginnings.

-

"Did you miss me?" Questioned Tori ecstatically as she beamed. Elnora had half the mind of declining and saying that she in fact did not miss her co-worker at all. Instead, she had just swallowed the lump in her throat and offered the girl a weak smile.

At this, Tori's eyebrows furrowed. "Or am I the one who missed something?"

Elnora woke up to what she thought was a normal day. She dressed, ate her breakfast and headed to work as usual. But what she didn't expect was Tori hiding underneath the counter waiting to surprise Elnora which she had successfully done, but not in the way she had hoped to.

Elnora was glad that her co-worker was back. Really. But then, this meant that Archer wouldn't work here any longer and that was what had her in a sullen mood.

For the past few days, she had enjoyed to the fullest with Archer by her side. She had grown so accustomed to the kisses he stole in between work hours and his warm embraces when the shop was empty. She felt like a light bulb running on nothing but happiness but now, it was as if someone pulled out the plug.

She wrapped an arm around her friend and gave her a half hug and Tori could have not been more confused. Elnora quickly cleared her throat and told Tori that she had forgotten something in the store room and left.

Since it was still early, Elnora decided to tell Archer about the news rather than him coming all the way from home only to be told that he wasn't required anymore. Her fingers gripped her phone tighter with every ring while she paced back and forth.

"Hello?"

"Babe," Archer whined groggily. "I know you know that I have a soft spot for you, but it's still early in the morning. Work doesn't start till-"

Elnora smiled as she pictured him squinting through the morning light at his alarm clock. "An hour and a half. I know."

For an eighteen year old, the boy could surely beat babies at a wailing competition.

"I have to tell you something Archer." Elnora said as she finally sat herself down on a table. Silence engulfed them both and Elnora found herself biting her lip in anticipation. How was she supposed to approach the topic?

"Please don't tell me you're breaking up with me." His voice was suddenly serious. She was fully aware that she had his attention and she scoffed at his stupidity. "Yeah. You wish."

At this, he let out a breath of relief.

And then resumed to groan.

"Listen, I'm sorry to interrupt your beauty sleep." She really wasn't but she had to lay blows one at a time. "But this is important."

"Tori's back."

With her words, the line went silent again for the second time. She pursed her lips and played with the hem of her shirt as she waited for him to reply. When it was evident that he wasn't going to be the one to break the silence, she decided to do it herself.

"Say something."

Archer blew out a breath and Elnora screwed her eyes shut. "What do you want me to say?" He didn't wait for her response and continued. "That I'll still stick around? That our relationship doesn't have to be over just because my work there is?"

"I won't lie, it's a real bummer. A huge one at that. But if you for one second think that this is going to affect us in anyway or that I won't be there for you anymore, you're kinda crazy."