Chapter 22

I sighed as I leaned back in my bed. Draco was out and about doing something with whoever in the house and I was personally bored out of my mind. They had told us Christmas day they weren't having their usual New Years eve party. I personally didn't care but it seemed Draco seemed a little put out by it. It would've been nice to have him be able to relax for a bit. I glanced at the dagger that was sitting in it's holder, laying on top of my dresser. I just stared at it. I don't what it was about it but it really threw me off guard having that. The blade was so polished that I could see my reflection in.  There was a slight knock on the door. 

"Come in." I muttered. Mrs. Malfoy poked her head in the room and I glanced up.

"Yes ma'am?" I asked as she swung the door open the rest of the way. 

"Are you busy?" She asked. I shook my head as I crawled off my bed. 

"Follow me, please." She said. I nodded and followed her downstairs. I glanced around as I was led to the room where my Uncle usually held his meetings. I glanced around the room to see it empty. I glanced back at Mrs. Malfoy who had stepped aside at the doors and let me walk in. I saw her nod at someone and then close the doors behind her; her eyes never looking up once. I glanced back towards the fire place as it roared to life to see my dearest Uncle standing there. 

"Yes?" I asked. 

"How did your Christmas go?" He asked as he leaned one hand on the mantle of the fire place. 

"Fine, Uncle." I said. I was confused on why I was brought here and not ordered to come down. I stared at him confused as I folded my arms behind my back. We stood in silence for a moment before glancing over at me. I blinked for a moment. 

"Why did I get called down here?" I muttered. 

"Because I'm going to give you a dark mark." He said. I stiffened up slightly. 

"But Uncle, what about me being unmarked to keep pondering minds away." I muttered. He nodded and then moved away from the fire place and slowly walked towards me.

"I have thought about it but I have decided it must be done. It will be different than the rest. It will look like a simple tattoo to everyone, including yourself. But it will also serve the same effect as a dark mark." He hissed. I nodded but I had already decided that this wasn't going to happen. I wasn't about to be branded during my Christmas break.

"And I thought it'd do you well to know a little bit about your family history." He said. I licked my lips but nodded. 

"Let's start at the very beginning, shall we." He said as he waved his hand. A chair appeared behind me and I took a seat moving my legs so they were crisscrossed in the chair. 

"My mother was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin. Direct." He said. I nodded. That would've been my great-aunt, if I had my terminology correct. 

"She had brother, which is your grandfather. Morfin." He said. I nodded and then he made his own chair appear before taking a seat. 

"He raped, the women who would become your grandmother. She decided to keep the baby, due to the fact she didn't believe in adoption. Your mother died giving birth to you." He said. I stared at him blinking a few times before staring down at my hands. 

"And my father?" I asked after a short pause, glancing up at my uncle.

"He was a loyal follower of mine who sadly became the casualty of the first Wizard War." He murmured. I nodded.

"So can you just tell me where exactly I have the name Riddle from?" I asked. He sighed and nodded. 

"Your mother had heard about my...mother, her aunt. She heard the name Riddle and preferred that one over the name Gaunt, like her mother had named her after your grandfather. Your father came from the Lestrange family. Of course, your father preferred the Riddle after knowing my own name had been Riddle before taking the one I'm currently am known for." He explained. I nodded.