Chapter 12: The Dueling Club and Deaths at Hogwarts

The news that Justin Finch-Fletchley had been attacked and was now lying as though dead in the hospital wing had spread around the entire school by the time everyone went to breakfast the next morning. The air was suddenly thick with rumor and suspicion. The first-years were now moving around the castle in tight-knit groups, as though scared they would be attacked if they ventured forth alone. The animosity between the Gryffindors and Slytherins was even worse than it had been after the attack on Mrs. Norris. Classes were so tense when those two houses were together that a lot of students weren't getting their classwork done.

Hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans, amulets and other protective devices was sweeping the school. Roger Davies boasted about making money off of several Hufflepuff Muggle-borns who were all eager to buy rotting-newt tails and evil-smelling green onions that supposedly warded off dark creatures. The Slytherins had a good laugh when they saw some Muggle-borns and half bloods walking around with pointed purple crystals that were supposed to keep a person from becoming petrified.

"Are people actually stupid enough to believe those things work?" Cass asked with a superior look on her face. "If they did the professors would be handing them out."

"They're Mudbloods," Leo snidely chimed in. "Of course they're stupid."

A week later, Harrison and his friends were walking across the Entrance Hall when they saw a small knot of people gathered around the Hogwarts notice-board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. Harrison could hear excited whispers and he lead his friends to the board, pushing past a knot of excited first year Gryffindors.

"A dueling club," Harrison murmured after reading the notice.

"The first meeting is tonight," Theo said. "Shall we go?"

"It could be useful," Harrison answered. To see what the enemy knows, he added in his head.

"I would love to be paired up with the weasel," Draco said with a dangerous smirk. "I can show him just how much more magic I know than him."

"Within reason," Harrison said in an undertone with a hint of warning.

Harrison knew how Draco felt about Ron and he didn't want his best friend to slip and do something he wouldn't be able to take back. Harrison wouldn't put it past Dumbledore to go to the meeting secretly under a disillusionment charm.

"I wonder why a dueling club was suddenly formed," Blaise mused as they walked to the Great Hall.

"Oh, I don't know," Draco drawled. "Maybe because the Chamber of Secrets was opened."

Blaise's eyes narrowed. "Maybe, but seeing how Slytherins monster can't duel this club won't be of much use."

"It's probably because of Lockhart," Daphne guessed. "Dumbledore had to have heard how much of an idiot the man is, and having a dueling club is the only way anyone will learn anything." As they walked into the Great Hall she glanced at where Ron was sitting. "And some people really do need all the help they can get."

That night at eight o'clock, they made their way to the Great Hall. The long dining tables had vanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by thousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it. The first years were looking around eagerly while a group of older Slytherins appeared to only be there to see if any drama would happen.

"Who do you think will be teaching us?" Jenna asked as she stood up on her tip toes. "I hope it will be Flitwick or Severus, I heard from Roger that Flitwick was a dueling champion in his youth."