Chapter 15: An Unwelcome Package and an Escape

All of the air in the room seemed to disappear, for the first time he could remember Tom felt panic. Tom had always been able to control his emotions, keep them hidden down deep inside of him. After all, emotions were for the weak. He had only allowed him to feel for Harrison, and still, he had never felt such panic. Not even when Harrison was young and clumsy, always getting hurt one way or another. But as Tom stared down into the regret filled eyes of Elphias Doge he felt like his entire body was going to implode at any minute. Various scenarios swan through his mind, questions as to how Dumbledore found out that Harry Potter was still alive and sheer fury that Dumbledore might know that he was raising the boy who Dumbledore thought he had murdered all those years ago. Tom's eyes turned from blue to crimson, his eyes looked like two pools of swirling blood. The air began to crackle with magic, powerful and unrestrained. It felt as though wind was coursing through the room, Elphias Doge's white hair went flying back and his eyes went wide and terrified. Tom swished his wand through the air, Elphias was flung back into the stone gray wall and Tom strode forward until their faces were almost touching.

"Tell me," Tom hissed dangerously, "how does Dumbledore know that Harry Potter is alive?" Elphias' eyes took on a panicked gleam as they darted from side to side. Tom would've sneered, but he was too angry, instead his face remained a mask of fury. Tom jabbed his wand into Elphias' throat. "Tell me, now!"

"I cannot," Elphias said, his voice shaking even though it was obvious he was attempting to make it steady. Tom's red eyes narrowed as he dug his wand into Elphias' throat.

"Tell me now or I will make you," Tom threatened. He could hear the command and fury in his own voice. He knew that even the bravest of men would falter under his tone, he had seen it happen countless times. Everyone was brave until they weren't anymore, until they couldn't be anymore. Everyone had a breaking point, and he would have no qualms about finding Elphias' Doge's. "If this is about not wanting to betray your old friend Dumbledore," he spat the name, "than do not worry for you have already done so." In the blink of an eye Tom's wand moved from Elphias' throat, it was then pointing at the young woman. "Tell me, or we find out whether or not this young Muggle girl is a virgin. Your choice." Elphias turned his head so that he was looking at the young girl. Tom waved his wand and the girls body remained rigid but her head was unfrozen, she began violently moving it from side to side.

"Please!" The girl screamed, her voice echoing pathetically off the walls. Lucius sneered at the young girl, disgust written all over his features. "Please don't!" Her voice cracked and tears rolled down her face, mascara stained underneath her blue eyes. Her eyes were filled with horror, but there was also a hint of confusion, it was obvious she had no idea how she was being forced to remain frozen. "Who are you people?" The girls pleading and tears continued.

"Choose now," Tom ordered. His patience was waning as his fury mounted.

"Gringotts," Elphias spoke quickly as the young girls screams intensified. Tom waved his wand to silence the girl but her head remained movable, he could see her silently screaming out of the corner of his eye. "Albus went to Gringotts in June, he went to ask what had become of the Potter vaults. When the last member of a family dies the contents of a vault are divided based on a persons will, if there is no will than the vaults contents are given to the Ministry of Magic. As I'm sure you're aware, the goblins don't speak of their clients to anyone outside of Gringotts employees, not even to the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot," Elphias continued, his eyes flicking back and forth between the silently screaming girl and Tom. "However since in the event of James and Lily Potter's deaths their sons custody was to go to Sirius Black," Elphias Doge's eyes darkened, "but seeing as the traitor is in Azkaban, Harry's custody was then to go to Albus Dumbledore." Tom sneered at the revelation, albeit it wasn't unsurprising. "So Albus was able to inquire as to the Potter vaults state, it was then he found out through the goblins that the vault was active since Harry Potter was alive." Tom took a step back as his mind processed this information, it makes sense, he was cursing himself for not thinking about the goblins. He knew why the goblins hadn't told anyone about Harry Potter being alive, they never involved themselves in the affairs of wizards.