p r o l o g u e • p a r t o n e

17th of July, 2006

"Mommy!" the dark haired child exclaimed. "Mommy, it hurts so bad!"

The sun was beaming down through the branches of the tall oak trees in the park where the birds could be heard chirping in the wind and small groups of ducks swimming in the glistening water. Queens had never been so peaceful... Well, that was until Lydia Chambers fell off of her brand new purple bike.

"Mommy, I think I'm bleeding!"

"Oh sweetie, don't cry it's okay." Her mother leaned down and wiped the tears falling down her only daughter's rosy cheeks. "We can try again and this time I promise to hold on the whole way to the end of the lane," the young mother reassured.

"You said that the last four times!" the six year old argued with years brimming in her blue eyes. "This is too hard, can we please go home? I feel so stupid, Mommy. Everyone else in my class can ride their bikes except me."

Mia Chambers let out a small sigh and knelt before her child and took her hands, looking into her daughter's eyes and said, "You are not stupid, you're learning. It's normal to mess up sweetie. Y'know, it took your Grandpa twenty-two times to teach me how to ride a bike. You're the smartest little girl I know, and you know what else is great about you?"

The young girl looked up at her mother through her eyelashes and shyly said, "What?"

"You never give up."

Both mother and daughter looked at each other for a moment, Lydia still with her head lowered, before her mom broke the silence and asked her, "So, are you ready to try again?"

Lydia slowly raised her head, a grin appearing on her face as she did so. She spun around on her heel and headed towards the fallen bike to pick it up and tried once more. Lydia's mother proudly beamed at her daughter and patted her shoulder, "That's my girl!"

Lydia situated herself on the bike's seat, took a deep breath and looked forward. She lifted one foot off the ground and in no time was peddling to the end of the lane.

"Look, Mommy! I'm doing it! I'm riding my bike!" Lydia shouted, loud enough for her mom to hear.

"See honey, I told you you could d- Lydia, honey slow down! Lydia!"

Lydia hadn't realised that her legs were moving so fast, everything around her seemed so slow, like she had all the time in the world. Unaware of what her mother had meant, she stopped the bicycle with ease and turned round to look for her mother who, on a closer inspection, seemed a lot further away than Lydia thought she had travelled. How could her mother be so far away, she was only riding her bike for a few seconds.

A few moments later her mother finally caught up with her, out of breath.

"Honey, y-you went so fast!" her mother said between breaths, "I could b-barely see you!"

"That's good though, right, Mommy?"

"Uh, uh-huh, ye-yeah. Of course, sweetie," her mother sounded unsure, "Let's get you home."

A young Lydia Chambers was sprawled out on her bed in her bedroom, reading one of her dads old high school textbooks about physics at an unusually fast speed, when she over heard her parents talking. She crept up to the door to listen to the familiar sounds that came from down the hall in their family apartment.

"You should've seen her, Mark, it was unbelievable."

"So you're telling me our daughter is, like, some magically fast six year old?"

"I know what I saw," her mother's voice was stern and Lydia still did not understand why, "and she told me in the car that it was like time slowed down but she was still moving at a normal speed! Mark, it was like she was with me at the top of the park one second, then there was a gust of wind and a moving shadow, then she was at the bottom of the park in a flash!"

"I don't know, Mia," her father continued, concern for both his daughter and wife, "I mean it completely defies the laws of science, I would know!" And he would, being a qualified scientist.

"I mean, I guess we kind of ignored it but it makes sense. How else do you explain her moving so quickly from one room to the next in the apartment?"

Lydia's father had a look on his face, one that he hated to admit to. The look on his face when his wife was right.

"I mean for God's sake, Mark, she's six years old and reading at a 12th grade level!"

"So let me get this straight, you're telling me that our daughter, our little girl, is able to manipulate time in able to make her body and brain work faster?"

Lydia had wide eyes. She was young, but this girl was smart and it finally made sense why. All those times where she was running late in the morning but was ready within less than a minute, or how she is able to read so quickly, or how she was able to process information a lot quicker than the other kids in her class. She had enhanced speed.

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

***
thats part one of the prologue guys!! i know it sucks rn but i just needed to get lydias backstory in so you guys weren't confused

part two will be up very soon but in the meantime let me know what you guys think so far, and yes don't worry this story will get waaay better

don't forget to comment and vote guys!! love you

—clio