o n e

"Lydia!" Shit. "Lydia, c'mon! You're gonna be late for-"

The same old routine every morning: wake up late, mom freaks, get ready in literally 4 seconds, mom's stunned. I mean, this speed thing kinda has it's perks. I whizz around my room going to all the familiar spots to pack my bag and get dressed, creating some sort of extra breeze that makes loose homework papers fly all around the place.

"- school!" Just as my mom finished her sentence, she was placing a freshly made pancake on a plate and I landed on one of the kitchen stools at the island. She looked at me with the same blank facial expression she gives me every morning while I just smirk at her eating my pancake. "You know you've really got to stop doing that."

"And miss that priceless face? No way," I replied, grinning at my mom. I didn't realise the time and a quick glance to my watch tells me that if I don't leave my apartment in 12 seconds I'm going to get detention for a week. "OK bye! I'm late! Very, very late! Oh god, love you guys," I grab my remaining pancake, give my mom a quick kiss on the cheek and wave to my dad sitting on the couch reading the morning paper, "bye!"

I faintly hear my mom mumble something like 'don't get caught' but I'm too far away now to comprehend what it actually was. OK I know what you're thinking and no I don't normally use my, gift, to get me out of trouble but I have a super important Spanish quiz first period and if I miss it I won't hear the end of it.

I arrive at Spanish early, thank God, and as always I'm the first one in the class. As I take my usual seat at the front of class, I hear footsteps behind me and I look back to see who it was. "Oh, hey," the brown haired boy spoke softly and accompanied his comment with an even softer smile.

"Hey, Peter," I waved and gave a half smile. He began to unpack books from his bag so I thought I'd make some small talk, Peter's a cool enough guy and actually really nice to talk to so I didn't mind waiting in class with him "So how're you feeling about this quiz today? I'm pretty pumped but-"

"Wait that's today?" He asked in a exasperated tone which I was taken aback by and he noticed. His face changed and was more sympathetic as he slouched in his seat. "Sorry, haven't slept in a while." Peter put his head in his crossed arms on the desk and I just laughed quietly. "Thanks," he stated in a humorous tone and dragged out the word.

"My pleasure, Parker," I replied jokingly, "Hey, so what's the deal with you not coming to band practice? Did you quit or something?" Peter and I aren't close friends by any means but we talk a lot in class and band so I feel like it's okay to ask him, right? Oh God, I'm that girl now. Awesome.

"Uh- yeah. I, um, recently got this new gig at this place and uh-"

"The Stark internship, right?" I could tell he was confused so I added, "I overheard you telling Ned. Well not so much overheard as saw you jumping up and down at your locker screaming about Tony Stark"

"Y-yeah, well it's gonna take up a lot of time now so-" Peter was interrupted by the bell ringing and students immediately started filling the classroom talking to one another. I felt bad that he couldn't finish what he was gonna say so I just smiled at him again and he returned it.

Not a second later did I feel a soft thump at the back of my head to which I instinctively go to hold it with my hand.

"Hey! Not cool!" I said, knowing the culprit.

"What the hell, man. I called you like three times this morning!" Michelle retorted while taking a seat beside me.

"Running late, sorry. I haven't even checked my phone yet," I say going to grab my phone from my bag.

"Late? Lydia you're early. Again." I quickly regret saying that, making it sound like I'm lying to my best friend.

"Right, yeah," I say, trying to fix my mistake, "like five minutes early. That's late to me MJ."

"And last night? You said you were gonna call back and you never did." She pointed out accusingly. I couldn't tell her that Steve came over, she doesn't even know we're related; no one does. Well, except the Avengers but realistically, who are they gonna tell? He says it's safer that way. Like, what was I meant to say? Oh yeah, sorry I didn't call u back MJ, I was busy talking to my 100 year old uncle about how we're gonna use my hyper-speed to fight Iron Man! "What are you hiding, Lydia?" She was starting to freak me out with all these questions and I panicked, I didn't know what to say. "Just kidding, I don't care," she laughed.

"You're the worst kind of friend," I spoke shaking my head and smiling.

***

"I totally nailed that Spanish quiz," MJ stated making conversation as we were walking out of class to the cafeteria, "I mean that verbs section was the easiest piece of shi- hey! Watch where you're going Flash!" Flash Thompson. A.K.A the biggest jerk I have ever met and even though I have told him this multiple times, still proceeds to hit on me and every other girl in this damn school.

"C'mon MJ, I know Lyds was dying to get my attention," he taunted with a vile smirk on his face.

"I'd literally rather eat shit, Flash," I retorted back.

"Hard to get. I like it," he grinned pointing at me while walking away, "but hey, I'll see you girls at Liz's party this weekend!" And with that he continued running to the cafeteria. MJ did her classic wave then shot him the middle finger and I put her hand down n left to go to lunch.

"Man that dudes a dick," she laughed.

"Tell me about it."

***
hiii guys! first of all i wanna thank u guys for 10k freakin reads!! that's so crazy!

also woooo lydia n peter had the smallest n shittiest interaction ever yay! but i did that on purpose bc ykno they're not meant to be friends n stuff :)

hope u guys like the book so far n honestly thank u sm for all the reads n votes n comments u guys leave on this book, ur all just the best ever!!

psa: ALSO DID Y'ALL CHECK MY GIRL OUT IN TO THE BONE SHE IS A GOD I DO NOT DESERVE HER SO ENJOY THIS FLAWLESS PICTURE OF HER BC SHE DESERVES ALL THE ATTENTION

—clio