Chapter Twenty-six

"Sang, wake up! Aren't you supposed to be in class in ten minutes?"

          I bolted out of bed. "CRAP!" I considered just slipping on some shoes and pulling my hair back as I ran out the door, but I had fallen asleep in my dress from the night before. "Crap, crap, crap!! Tess! Grab me some clothes!" I begged as I ran into the bathroom and stripped down.

          "Dang, girl. You look like hell. Maybe just stay home." She opened the door and threw a clean set of clothes in. I pulled on the shorts and tee.

          "Can't! I have a test!" Crap again! I didn't even study. Before I could ask, she tossed in a pair of my sandals. I pulled my hair up and raced out into my room. Tess was standing there, holding my bag and phone out to me. "Did you get a smartphone?"

          "I'm just borrowing it. Thanks," I said as I threw my bag over my shoulder and stuffed the phone in my pocket. "Later!" I ran out the door.

          As I raced down the stairs, I hoped that Tess had been exaggerating. Even in a full out sprint, it took me eight minutes to get to Professor Reid's class. There would be no time for coffee, but my adrenaline might just do the job. And as much as I hoped Kota would be there to greet me with a smile and a mocha frap, the idea of him seeing me looking like a mangy mutt had me cringing. Not to mention the sweat that was now dripping from my hairline as I hauled butt across campus. Good grief, I forgot deodorant too.

          I felt like I was lagging. The night before had taken its toll. I pushed my feet harder against the concrete and lengthened my stride. I had a feeling Professor Reid would not be forgiving if I was late. Some professors were willing to let students make up tests with an automatic ten percent off the grade, but I didn't think Professor Reid liked me much.

          When I tore around the corner, my bag caught on the wall, and I spun in a circle. I managed to stay upright, but in the three seconds it took me to right myself and restart my run, I saw the door to the classroom closing. Son of a gun! "Wait!" I called, hoping that someone would take pity on me.

          When the door paused and then reopened, hope surged through me. I hoped it was Kota rescuing me again. I came to a stop outside the door and my hope sank like a rock. Kota was there, but he was standing behind a very smug looking Professor Reid. Kota's brows were furrowed. He glared at the back of Professor Reid's fluffy white-haired head.

          "Why Ms. Thornson. It would seem you've forgotten my policy on being tardy."

         "Excuse me, Professor Reid, but Ms. Sorenson," he emphasized my name, "still has forty-three seconds before she is officially late." I looked at Kota, trying to convey that I could handle things. He didn't need to be getting into trouble for my sake. He met my eye, but shook his head.

          Professor Reid completely ignored Kota though, so I had nothing to worry about. "A zero for the test today."

          "But Profes—" Kota started as he shifted his bag up his shoulder.

          "I understand. I'm sorry." I shot Kota another pleading look. Challenging him like this in front of his class would only make things worse for me in the long run. I knew how people like this worked. If I kept my head down and remained compliant, it wouldn't be so bad. Pushing back only made them push harder. Or worse, Kota could become a target.

          Professor Reid turned away from me, studying Kota. "Mr. Lee, you'll be wanting to take your seat."

          Kota looked like he wanted to argue. He pushed his glasses up his nose and took a step toward me. I was sure his intentions were noble, but the guilt would have killed me. "I'll call you later, Kota. Again, Professor, I'm so sorry." I turned and walked away as calmly as I could. I didn't need Kota thinking I was having an emotional breakdown and come running out after me.