Chapter Thirty-nine *BRAND NEW*

I spent that night sleeping in a recliner next to Billy's hospital bed. I'd had to turn my phone off earlier, as he'd started getting suspicious at the number of texts I'd been receiving. I didn't want to add the stress of me dating five guys—six guys? Wait... seven? I started counting them off on my fingers—to his already full plate. He'd tried to send me home, but relented when I promised to be gone before the nurse's shift change at 6 am. Dusty would be picking me up and taking me back to campus.

          I woke every time his nurse stopped by to take his vitals for his chart, watching the numbers and looking for any signs of deterioration. Not that I understood blood pressure. I added that to the list of things to learn.

          By the time I was dressed and ready for class the next morning, I was pulling off a pretty impressive zombie impersonation. But the prospect of breakfast with Kota kept me going. I still wasn't sure how I felt about him talking to Corey about me. On the one hand, it wasn't his business. On the other hand, with what I'd learned about Professor Reid, I was glad he'd had my back. With that thought, I grabbed the GPS tracking bracelet from off my desk and put it on.

          I swung my bag over my shoulder and headed out, waving to Tess and Brandon at the table on my way. "Call if you need help, Sang!" Brandon said as I was pulling the door shut behind me.

          I popped my head back in and said, "Yup. Will do!" then skipped down the hall and the stairs.

          Kota was waiting for me outside my building, leaning his tall frame against the brick wall. He was wearing a long-sleeved green T-shirt and had his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jeans. I laughed as I came to a stop beside him. "We're twinning!"

          He pushed his glasses up his nose as he checked us both out. Me in my green long sleeves and denim skirt. A smile broke out across his sweet face. "That'll make it harder for me to lose you later at the aquarium."

          THE AQUARIUM!! I knew I'd been forgetting something! I mentally went over what else I had going on, trying to see if I'd over scheduled myself.

I had the park with Nathan and Max tomorrow afternoon, then the foreign film in the park with Victor Thursday night. Dancing with Gabriel on Friday. North had said he wanted to cook for me...when was that again? Tonight. I needed to text and see what time he was picking me up.

          "You forgot, didn't you?" Kota said. He'd been watching my face. I was going to have to get a poker face! 

          "I did," I admitted. "I've got a lot on my plate lately, and it's all kinda just happening all at once. I've been looking forward to the aquarium though. I guess I just didn't realize that it was today. I seem to have lost a day or so somewhere along the way."

          "If you're busy, we can cancel," he said as we started walking toward the parking lot.

          I felt awful for forgetting. But I really did want to spend the afternoon with the sea creatures. And Kota. They both had a soothing effect on me. I shook my head and nudged his side with my elbow. "I'd really love to go still. I just got my days mixed up. I just have to be back by dinnertime, I think. Like seven or so? Is that okay?"

          "Yeah. The aquarium closes at five anyway. Plus I've got a meeting I need to be at by eight so that works perfectly. We can grab coffee on the drive back." He was imagining his steps toward an older sedan that fit it with all the other cars in the lot. Nothing like the fancy newer cars the other guys had been driving me around in. This car felt closer to normal to me, and I loved it. Every ding and scratch.