Chapter Thirty-five

I carried the phone in my hand away from my body as I headed to Spanish Lit. I had been cautious with it before, but now that I knew I had the power to send electric shocks to an unknown number of people, I didn't even want to touch it. Corey had insisted that it didn't really hurt, but I was wary. I was terrified that if I kept it in my pocket, I would end up accidentally setting off the emergency signal. That would be so much more embarrassing than a average butt dial.

          I was on autopilot through class, helping a guy who was struggling with his conjugations. When Professor Cabreja dismissed class, he asked if I'd be willing to tutor him.

         "I wish I could, but I've just got too much going on. I'm sorry. I've got to run." And I did have to run. Literally. I'd forgotten that I'd promised Dusty I would start. I could go running and then have a late lunch before self-defense.

          Back at my dorm, I dug through my drawers for a sports bra. There was just one at the bottom of the drawer. Thirty some odd bras Tess had bought for me and only one was a sports bra. She knew me so well. I realized I'd have to get more with the promise I'd made Dusty. I stripped down, pulled on the bra, and got myself into some cotton shorts and a loose tee. I was just lacing up my shoes when my phone came to life.

         "Hello!" I said as I answered. It was an unknown number.

          A smoky voice answered. "This is Axel Toma. Am I speaking with Sang?"

          "Oh, hi, Axel! I've been waiting for your call." I finished tying and stood to do some stretching.

          Axel gave me the address to the gym that he was holding class. "We start at three and go for an hour."

          "I can be there."

         "Need a ride?"

          The gym was a few miles away. I could probably ride my bike over, but after running, I might not be willing to do that. "A ride sounds perfect."

          I gave him my address and then disconnected the call. That's when I realized I had a problem. I looked down at my outfit. No pockets. I considered my options. I could stuff the phone in my underwear, but eww. It would probably stay in my bra, but again, eww. I huffed. If I was going to take the phone—the expensive, zappy phone—it would be covered in either boob sweat or butt sweat. I'd probably ruin it. The idea of explaining to Victor that I'd managed to drown his phone in perspiration was enough to have me leave my phone on my side table. I threaded the door key off of my keyring, and after locking up, stuffed it in my bra.

          Once I was outside, I stretched my hamstrings out one more time for good luck. Then with contemptuous resignation, I set off toward the south. Since I had no real destination, I figured running north and south would keep the sun from my eyes. After about four blocks, I was dripping. Good call on leaving the phone behind!

          Up ahead, I knew there was a park with some water fountains. Since I had forgotten to bring a water bottle with me, I decided I'd stop there for a drink and then head back. Five blocks one way; five blocks back. It was a good enough start.

          After drinking more than I should have, I flopped onto a nearby bench, lying down and taking up the whole space. My side hurt, my shins hurt, and my lungs were struggling for air. I lifted an arm straight into the air. "Curse you, hipsters, for making running a thing."

          Two joggers scoffed at me as they passed by. I glared at their backs as the pranced away like gazelles. Dusty was right. I needed to build my stamina.