Chapter Thirty-two

I felt myself slowly waking from a very peaceful sleep. I felt warm and cozy, snuggled up to a space heater. I was on my side, my head resting on a warm pillow. I shifted closer, nuzzling in and sighing. Then the space heater shifted and sighed too.

          My eyes flew open. I was staring at a broad, defined chest sporting the Red Sox logo. My arms were pressed between our bodies. My head was pillowed on one of his biceps, and his other arm was draped around my waist, pulling me in. I sat up, taking stock on my surroundings and trying to figure out what had happened.

          "We fell asleep watching the movie, Aggele Mou." His voice was low and gravelly.

          I shifted so I could look back down at Silas. He rolled onto his back and was rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

          "What time is it?" I asked. I was jealous. Sleepy Silas sounded cuddly, and I sounded like a cartoon villain. I swallowed to clear my throat a bit as I scrambled for my phone. I lit up the screen. 1:36 am, three missed calls and four text messages. "Shoot!"

          I pressed the missed calls and saw they were all from Tess. Shoot again! I pushed her icon to start a call as I stood and walked to my bedroom door. I opened it and stepped out into my lit common room. I'd forgotten to turn the lights out. Tess answered after the first ring.

          "Where the hell are you? What happened? Did he hurt you? Are they there yet?" She was frantic. I felt like a tool.

          "Tess, I'm so sorr—"

          I was interrupted by a banging on the door. "Open up!"

          "Ok, I'm already on my way. Sounds like he's there. Just let them take care of this." Then she hung up.

          I was looking between my phone and my door when a hand came to rest on the small of my back. Silas spoke in a harsh whisper. "Go to your room and hide in your closet. Don't come out until I come for you." He urged me back into my bedroom. "And call Dusty," he commanded before closing my door in my face.

          I reached my over and pinched my arm. Ouch. Okay, so I'm awake. That meant there really was someone breaking down my door while a hulking guy, whom I'd just slept with, prepared to take them out after insisting I hide in my closet.

          I tried to wake up my mind, catching it up to what was going on. I'd not checked in with Tess. So she'd checked in with me. And I'd slept through it. She must have sent someone to check on me.

          I opened my bedroom door to find Silas leaning against my front door. Someone was pushing in, and he was holding it closed.

          "Silas, wait!"

         "Get back, Sang. Call Dusty!"

          I shook my head and ran up to him. "Stop. They're not here to hurt me."

          I put one hand on his arm. He looked down at it and then back to my face. "You know who this is?"

        "Um." I tried to think of who Tess would have called. "Well, no. But it's okay."

          I reached out and knocked on the door. "I'm okay. Stop pushing on the door, and I'll let you in," I called out as loud as I could.

          I heard a muffled voice respond through the door. "Sang?"

          "Yeah."

          A pause. "Are you okay?"

         "Yeah. Back up. I'll let you in."