Chapter 1: A Letter From Grandpa

"What am I doing here?" you wondered as you ran your hand down your face to shake off the fatigue.

Every day was the same. Wake up, work, sleep. It was an endless cycle.

You always envisioned yourself to be someplace better. Yet here you are, sitting in a cramped cubicle and working for the world's most corrupt company - Joja.

Yoba, you hated it here.

You never understood why they needed so many workers nor why they required you all to work countless hours for six days a week. "Slave labor," you scoffed and nodded to yourself. It was just so emotionally draining, especially for someone your age.

With a sigh, you leaned back in your chair and let your mind wander. Suddenly, you remembered what your grandfather said the night he passed away:

"There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life... and your bright spirit will fade before a growing emptiness. When that happens, my dear, you'll be ready for this gift. Now let grandpa rest..."

Your eyes widened at the realization as you swallowed the lump that had formed in your throat. Could it be? Could you possibly escape this hell hole?

Aside from the anxiety that was growing within you, the rest of the day at Joja Co. continued per usual. When your shift ended, you quickly gathered your belongings and bolted towards the exit.

"Y/N" You heard someone calling from behind you.

You let out a frustrated sigh, you knew exactly who it was. Reluctantly, for some reason, you still turned around. He was leaning against one of the cubicles, clad in his typical button up shirt and khakis.

"What now, Michael?" You stared daggers into his soul.

"Whoa there," he put his hands up defensively. "I was just wondering if you wanted to grab a drink or something since we're both off work now." His hazel eyes lit up with confidence as he brushed back his sleek black hair with one of his hands. You never knew why he did that; his hair wasn't even that long to begin with.

"No, thanks. I don't have time," you replied nonchalantly and turned back around.

You felt him grab your wrist. "Let. Go." you seethed.

"Not until you say yes."

You pulled away from him with a quick force and managed to rip yourself from his grasp. Swiftly, you turned to leave.

"I'll catch you tomorrow, then," he yelled back at you with a mischievous tone.

He was surprisingly lax today, you thought to yourself. Michael, the man who was practically obsessed with making you his. The one who would bother you nearly every single day and the one who made your experience at Joja even worse than it already was.

It was actually quite hard for you to hate someone, but ever since the day you decided to give him a chance and he tried to force himself upon you, your whole perspective on him changed completely. Thereafter, his actions became increasingly aggressive as time went on.

"All the more reason to quit this job," you sighed as you closed and locked the car door. You headed home, anxious to find that letter your grandpa had given you.

---<>---

Upon arriving home, you rummaged through each drawer in your bedroom. Finally, you found the slightly discolored envelope with your grandpa's purple seal melted onto it.

You moved to your bed and sat down, staring at the item you held in your hands. Steadily, you released the seal and opened the letter that read:

Dear Y/N,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago, I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life...real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.

I've enclosed the deed to that place...It's located in Stardew Valley, on the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life.

This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honor the family name, my dear. Good luck.

Love, Grandpa

P.S. If Lewis is still alive say hi to the old guy for me, will ya?

Shocked, you sat there for a moment to collect yourself before checking the envelope again. Sure enough, the other piece of paper enclosed in it was the deed.

You couldn't believe it. Was this a dream? Some sort of elaborate and cruel joke your grandpa pulled?

No...this was really happening.

You fell back on your bed with outstretched arms and let out a chuckle of disbelief.

"Yoba, Grandpa, you're the best."

With this single piece of paper, you could start anew. You can get away from all of this. Away from Joja Co. Away from Michael.

To a new beginning.