Chapter 4: At First Sight

You watched as the blond repeatedly tried to do a kickflip, his green Chucks at work with the skateboard. He had on a slightly worn blue jacket with a red undershirt and brown jeans. When he noticed you, he rolled on over.

"Hey, you're the new farmer right? Name's Sam," he beamed as he raised his hand to wave, his emerald eyes locked onto you.

Oh Yoba. He's cute. You felt your face start to heat up. You never really handled talking to good-looking guys very well.

You took a deep breath to calm down and prevent any more blood from rushing up to your face. "Don't do this, face. Not now," you thought to yourself. This was a new town and you wanted to avoid any awkward encounters to the best of your ability.

"Hey you doing - ah fuck," you slapped your hand to your mouth and looked up at him with wide eyes. How? How do you mess up a greeting??

He burst out in laughter. "Wow, that's a funny way to greet someone."

You relaxed a little, relieved that his reaction didn't result in anything too unbearably awkward. "Ah, sorry. Yeah, I just got here yesterday. I guess I'm just drained from all the commotion. Had a little brain fart," you smirked.

"Oh yeah, I get you," he nodded.

"I'm Y/N, by the way. I was just going around meeting people. You know, trying to become a part of the community and such."

"You should meet my mom and brother then. Come on," he gestured you to follow him.

His house was the first on the left. It was a nice shade of blue and had a ship's steering wheel above the door. You took a quick glance at the brown and tan house next to it, noticing a sun adorned above the entrance. Was this a thing, putting decorations above doors? You didn't give it much more thought.

A voice came from the kitchen when you entered. "Sam honey, is that you? Lunch is ready." A purple-eyed woman with strawberry brown hair that was gathered into a short braid poked her head around the corner.

"Oh? Who's your new friend?"

"This is Y/N."

"Hello, nice to meet you," you smiled.

"Nice to meet you too hun! My name is Jodi. I just finished making lunch, why don't you join us?"

You were surprised that you were invited to something so early on. "Oh, I couldn't-"

"Yeah, you should join us!" Sam interjected, "It would be nice to have someone other than Seb at the table."

"Seb? Robin's son?" You recalled Robin mentioning her son as "Sebby."

"Yep, Sebastian. Have you met him yet? He's just a big ball of angst," he chuckled to himself. "He'll grow on you though."

You watched as Jodi made her way to the closest room on the right from where you stood. She knocked, "Vincent, come out and meet our guest, Y/N."

You heard some thumping around from the other side of the door before it opened and a little strawberry-haired boy in a striped shirt emerged.

"Hello Miss!" he smiled.

"Hi there!" you greeted him back.

The four of you made your way into the kitchen to have some lentil soup - to which both Sam and Vincent made clear that they didn't particularly like. They ate it anyway, under Jodi's watchful eye. Luckily Sam had a lot to say, so there weren't many instances of awkward silence. When you were done, he walked you to the door.

"Thanks Jodi! Bye Vincent!" you called out as you stepped through the door.

"Well, that was a little unexpected for the first day around town haha." You turned towards Sam.