Chapter 2: A New Beginning

The first of Spring.

All arrangements were handled and all preparations completed. You were finally ready to move in.

You looked out the window as the bus made its way through a thick forest leading to the valley. The trees whizzed by in a flurry of greens and browns. Every so often, a pothole was hit, causing you to bounce around in your seat. No one else was on the bus, making you feel a bit uncomfortable and leaving an air of awkwardness between you and the driver.

You were nervous, to say the least. What would life be like, living on a farm? How would the villagers react to a new resident in town? You knew that the community wasn't very big, but you were still hopeful that you'd be accepted into it with open arms.

"Here we are, Pelican Town," the broad man in a blue cap said with a gruff voice that startled you out of your thoughts.

"O-oh, right! Thank you!" you said as you made your way off the bus, luggage in hand.

He shut the doors behind you and drove off. You looked around, but no one was there. You were supposed to meet up with Lewis, the man your grandpa mentioned in his letter.

A few minutes went by, and you started to wonder whether you were in the right place when suddenly you heard a female voice in the distance.

"Hey there!" A red-haired woman in a fur-laced brown and yellow coat, green pants, and a messy updo approached you.

"H-hello!" You greeted her politely.

"You must be Y/N. I'm Robin, the local carpenter. Mayor Lewis is busy tidying things up in your new home, so I'm here to bring you over. Come along!" she said cheerfully as she grabbed one of your bags.

"Oh! You don't have to-"

"No no, it's no problem at all!" Robin called from behind her back and started walking towards the path that split in two directions. You grabbed your other bags and caught up with her.

"So what made you decide to move here? It's not everyday we get someone new in town," she asked.

"Well... I was just getting sick and tired of the modern life, that's it really. When I found out that my grandpa gave me the deed to his farm, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to start fresh."

"Ah," Robin said as the two of you turned right at the forked path. "How old are you anyway? I have a son and a daughter that look around your age."

"I'm 20."

"Wow! So young, moving out here all by yourself. I'm surprised you're already tired of the city."

"Haha yeah, you might as well have called me an adult by the age of 16. It's complicated, you know?"

"Well then I will probe no further!" She continued, "When you get the chance, you should meet my children. Maru's a sweetheart, works at the clinic with Dr. Harvey. As for Sebby, he may seem cold at first but he'll definitely warm up once you get to know him!" she beamed.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," you smiled back.

There was a small clearing ahead with a little cottage resting to the right of the dirt path.

"Here we are!" Robin exclaimed as you turned to your left to see a field riddled with rocks, branches, trees, and weeds. She must have seen the horrified look on your face and chuckled before continuing, "Sure, it's a bit overgrown, but there's some good soil underneath that mess! With a little dedication you'll have it cleaned up in no time."

The two of you made your way to the front of the house. It seemed a little old and beat-up, but still in pretty good shape.

"Ah, the new farmer!" A voice called from inside. The door opened and a gray-haired man stepped out. He wore a green shirt with a yellow tie, brown overalls, a brown newsboy cap, and a mustache that reminded you of the Monopoly man.

"Welcome! I'm Lewis, mayor of Pelican Town."

"Nice to finally meet you, Mayor! Oh, my grandpa wanted me to say hi for him... you know, from his letter..." You trailed off and suddenly felt embarrassed at this statement.

He chuckled. "Anyway, you must be tired from the long journey. You should get some rest. Tomorrow you ought to introduce yourself to the rest of the town, I'm sure they'd enjoy that."

He turned to leave but stopped, seeming to remember something. "Oh, I almost forgot. If you have anything to sell, just place it in that box over there and money will come your way the next day." He pointed to the bin next to the cottage and handed you some turnip seeds. "This will get you started on your farm. Well...Good Luck!"

Robin patted your shoulder. "Well, I best be heading out too. If you need any house upgrades or farm buildings, you know who to call! The carpenter's shop is in the mountains just north of the town. I'll see you around!"

"Bye Robin, Mayor Lewis! Thanks!" You watched the two of them leave and sighed, ready to wind down for the evening.

You looked up at the old cottage one more time before stepping onto the porch and opening the door. Inside was a single room with a table and chair in the middle of it, a TV in the corner, a dresser against the right side of the wall, and a bed right next to it. The chimney on the backside of the house glowed dimly as the fire started to die. Despite being small, it felt quite cozy.

You plopped down onto your bed and immediately drifted off to sleep, ready to start your new life the next day.