Lord of the Flies

Simon ran as far as his legs could take him. He collapsed and finally let himself cry.

     "Hello?" a voice greeted.

     Simon looked up, mildly startled by the sound. He saw the pig's head on a stick that Jack had placed there with his hunters.

     "Pig's head on a stick," he murmured as he shook his head.

     "Ralph doesn't love you," stated the Lord of the Flies.

      "I'm sure he does. Maybe jus' confused," argued Simon.

     "Why does he keep ending up with Jack? Would he not go to greater lengths to stay away from Jack Merridew if he loved you?" the Lord of the Flies reasoned.

     "I don't know," Simon said so the pig's head could barely hear him.

     "Wouldn't he have chased after you again? You made it all the way to me without hearing him behind you. Why would he let you get away if he loved you?" the Lord of the Flies continued.

     "I...don't know," stuttered Simon even quieter than before.

     "And if he loved you, why would you be here, broken hearted and crying? Doesn't love make people happier? You don't seem happy," taunted the Lord of the Flies.

     Simon shook his head again. He didn't want to believe what this figure was telling him. He didn't want to accept that Ralph wasn't his. But the Lord of the Flies made too much sense.

     "Pig's head on a stick!" Simon repeated.

     He ran away once more. Tears pooled in his eyes. He couldn't go to his secret place. Ralph would find him too quickly.

     Simon let his feet decide where he went. He didn't think of his destination. He was almost out of the trees when he tripped.