Escape?

The man standing guard sat by the fire. The flames were slowly dwindling, soon to become ashes. I summoned up all the strength I could muster and started shivering as if I was getting cold. The man looked up at me when he saw the sudden change in my breathing. I knew these men hated me and didn't care about me but they still needed me alive for whatever plan Grimaud had in mind.
"Fire's almost out," I said between shallow, shaky breaths hoping my plan would work. "At least allow me a... A little comfort before I die." Come on. Budge. "Does Grimaud pay you enough to sit there in the cold?" That got his attention for sure. "There's plenty of wood outside. A little warmth. Please." Finally, after all my pleading and persuasion, the man began to move. He walked up to me. I thought he was going to hit me or something but he just grunted and walked away. This was it. My chance at getting out of here. I shifted my body forwards. It hurt but I had a motivation. Nothing would stop me doing it. It took me two more pushes until I was off the post and tumbling to the floor. I landed awkwardly on my side. I groaned. I cracked my fingers, hoping to regain some feeling back in them. I searched through the embers of the fire and found the crucifix. It was burning hot so I had to shift it between my hands before preceding to unlock my ankle chains. I decided to unlock my wrist chains whilst running. It would be easy enough to do. I saw the man coming back with a pile of logs. I approached him.
"Well it's a bit late now!" I shouted, taking a log off the top of the pile and whacking him around the head with it. That was him dealt with. I reached the entrance to the old house managing to undo the chain on my right wrist. I looked round the corner and saw two men chatting. They saw me so I ran on, undoing the other chain, but dropping my crucifix in the process.
"Hey!" I heard someone shout behind me. As if they were expecting me to surrender just like that. Then I heard a gunshot. They were shooting in my direction. More men joined the pursuit until a horse neighed and Grimaud came into view.
"Don't shoot!" He ordered. I stopped abruptly. Two men took up positions behind me. I pushed them out the way. I could handle this myself. I turned back to my captor.
"You still need me alive," I said. He would have had me dead straightaway if that was what he wanted. He drew a gun and pointed it at my chest.
"But not intact," he replied. His men grabbed hold of me. They turned me round and we began to make our way back to the old house. I sighed. My escape attempt had failed and I was back under Grimaud's wrath. I just had to hope and wait that my fellow Musketeers would come to my aid.