Chapter Ten; A Change In Him

The following few days seemed to almost pass by in a blur for Belle.
Loki had allocated the guest chambers that she'd stayed in that first night she arrived in Asgard, as her own.
She had mixed feelings about being back in the palace, and she was finding it hard to process her emotions.
She'd pestered Loki into putting her to work, as she had no desire to spend her time sitting idle. Her soul craved adventure, and she thrived on keeping busy. So begrudgingly he'd agreed to allow her to help manage his domestic affairs.

From his point of view, he didn't have the slightest idea of what to do with her. He knew she was a princess, yet no task seemed to be too lowly or beneath her. The palace already had plenty of servants on hand, and the positions related to state were filled by the elders.
After giving it much thought and consideration he suggested she act as his glorified maid or house keeper. To which she jumped at the chance.
He had many reservations. He'd never had anyone in his personal quarters of the west wing, or taking care of everyday mundane tasks such as cleaning, sorting out his clothing, and tending to other such menial tasks.

At first he was somewhat reluctant about permitting her access to his sanctuary. He had always preferred his own company, and this was his safe haven. No servants, messengers or chieftains ever bothered him unless he specifically stated he was willing to be called upon. So he was able to rest easy....as himself. Not as the Allfather.
He grew tired of having to conduct himself in the manner by which Odin did. And as much as it pained him to admit it, having Belle around had only served to prove just how much of a strain it was keeping up the masquerade.

But at least with Belle he could be himself. There was no pretence needed and he found her company agreeable. Even though they were rarely in each other's presence for long.
Obviously ruling the kingdom took up the majority of his time. If he wasn't in meetings, he was attending state affairs or ceremonies. When he wasn't in the throne room receiving continuous updates on the current state of the nine worlds, he was in council with his advisors.
When he did manage to snatch a few moments for himself here and there, he would retreat to his private library or his chambers. The two places where he was most at ease.

And the noticeable difference Belle had made surprised him. Each evening when he returned, his clothes for the following day would be laid out ready for him to wear. The brass and surfaces were always polished until they gleamed....as were his boots...which was an irony she had chosen to do to poke fun at him.
During the day she would open the windows to air out the rooms, and place freshly cut flowers in all the vases. These were the little details he had previously overlooked, but now he'd grown to appreciate.
He only wished he saw more of her.
Not that he'd ever admit it. In fact he struggled to come to terms with it himself. But their fleeting exchanges proved just how lonely he actually felt.

By having her here, he was keeping her away from Sir Sigurd and the position she'd had at the village library.
And whilst it troubled him to know that she'd been prophesied to accept Sigurd's hand in marriage and by them being kept apart was tampering with destiny, he wasn't entirely displeased about it.
The latter however he had decided to remedy. She loved her books, as did he so he decided to make a sacrifice in order to bring her some happiness that she so rightfully deserved. She did work incredibly hard after all.

Likewise, Belle was rather enjoying being resident in the palace and felt honoured to have been granted permission into the king's quarters. But she found it difficult being away from the outside world, and was beginning to grow lonely. Each day she hoped she'd encounter the God of mischief in passing, and when she did it was the highlight of her day. When she didn't, she did her best to push aside the feelings of bitter disappointment.

Then one day, the most unexpected thing happened. Which changed the new routine that she'd grown accustomed to. And altered the order of things forever...