Chapter Seventeen: Road To Recovery

The journey back to Asgard seemed to take an inordinate amount of time.

The searing pain in Loki's shoulder began to spread down into his chest, making him feel nauseous and faint. The wound itself where the arrowhead was imbedded into his flesh was not the main cause, but rather the poison that had entered his bloodstream, which was being pumped around his body at an alarming rate as a result of the erratic beating of his heart.

He tried to calm himself, but that was no easy feat. He was worried for himself, naturally, but he was also concerned about Belle, who navigated the aircraft precariously through the narrow crack in one of the high mountains that led back to Asgard.

Belle flinched and had to fight the instinct to close her eyes as the sides of the ship scraped against the jagged rock, sending up sparks and causing the vessel to lurch and shudder.

When at last the ordeal was over, she wasn't able to breath a sigh of relief due to Loki's condition worsening. Which in turn also created another, rather monumental, problem.

"I shan't be able to go to the healing room."
He announced shakily.
"I'm too weak to hold the illusion of Odin in place. I'll be discovered and then.....my fate will be sealed."

Unable to take her eyes off the direction they were heading in for too long, Belle darted anxious glances at him as he struggled back onto his feet.
"But Loki, you need to be healed by the soul forge. You're seriously injured. There's no other way--"

"There is."
He rasped.
"You....you can assist me Belle. We need to go to your cottage....there you'll be able to attend to the wound."

Belle's stomach clenched with anxiety.
"But I'm not a healer Loki. The wound might be too deep."

"Yes, and.....and the arrow may also have been tipped I'm afraid."

"Tipped?"

"Laced with poison."

Her heart lurched in her chest.
"What? Oh god! Then you definitely need the right medical assistance. Loki, you mustn't risk your life like this. You must go to the healers."

Stubbornly Loki shook his head.
"I'm putting my life in your hands, Belle. If I go to the healing rooms I'll be arrested and detained, put on trial, and then more than likely sentenced to death."

"No! Please don't say that!"

"It's the truth, Belle. I will be executed for my crimes. So I'd rather take my chances with you. You're intelligent and you're brave. I know you can save me."

He watched as she frowned, her beautiful face stricken with panic and worry.

"Loki I...."

"Please Belle."
He begged.
"Do this for me. I need you. I need you to help me."

Unable to resist the look of heartbreaking panic in his hazy green eyes, against her better judgement Belle did as he implored her.
After steering the aircraft in the general direction of the vast forestland, she moved aside in order for Loki to bring it in to land, her not having the confidence or experience to land them safely.

The task took the last strains of his strength, and once the ship had been set down in a large clearing just beyond a grove of oak trees, Belle had to aid Loki back to her humble dwelling.