Chapter Twelve: Your Heart And Mine

"Explain to me again, what all this is in aid of?"
The voice of Karnilla rang out from behind the mirror, but Loki was barely listening.

"I already told you."
He responded distractedly, smoothing his newly trimmed dark mane back before carefully pulling his horned helm on.

Karnilla stared at him askance, and as he glanced her way he recognised her look of bewilderment which caused him great irritation.

"I'm attempting to do something nice, yes that may be out of character for me but it's a means to an end. Nothing more."

"There is no sense or reason to your supposed logic. If it is your intention to reverse the prophecy then you know what must happen. The girl is to marry Sir Sigurd of Utgard-"

"Stop saying that!"
He bellowed quite unexpectedly. His loss of temper even taking himself by surprise.
He took a deep breath and forced a strained smile,
"My apologies your majesty. I just find your repetition irksome."

"If I am repeating myself then it is clearly necessary being as you are refusing to acknowledge or accept my words

"If I am repeating myself then it is clearly necessary being as you are refusing to acknowledge or accept my words."
She fired back, her own temper now beginning to rise,
"You cannot alter the course of destiny."

"And I am not attempting to."
He insisted, turning to face her now.

"So why are you delaying the inevitable by keeping her here away from him?"

"I'm not delaying anything, I simply cannot afford to have her roaming Asgard when clearly there is a threat to my safety."

"That is a poor excuse silver tongue and you know it. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps she might be a threat to your safety?"
She retorted with a wry smile, relishing his look of confusion.

"What do you mean by that?"

"They intend to come for her, and your reckless actions have only aggravated the situation. She is a distraction, you admitted that yourself. She is your weakness and weaknesses make us vulnerable."

He faltered slightly, his pale face colouring,
"I will never allow myself to become vulnerable. And just because I find her mildly pleasing does not mean she is my weakness-"

"You desire her and have developed feelings towards her..."

He opened his mouth to speak again, but she raised an elegant hand in order to prompt him into remaining silent,
"....even you, the wicked Loki are not immune to the natural way of the worlds. So spare me your false declarations of denial."

Impaling her with his steely glare, he forced aside the crippling embarrassment that had now taken hold of him,
"Is there a point to this lecture? It's just that it is getting late, and I have plans."

Rolling her eyes at him, she did not attempt to hide her exasperation,
"So you intend to go ahead with this foolishness in spite of everything we have discussed?"