Chapter Fourteen: Destiny Dictates

"How is it that my father has come to be here? And how could he possibly have known where to find me?"

Loki swallowed hard, his Adam's apple visibly bobbing in his throat.
That was a very good question, one that he himself was yet to find an adequate answer to.
That half-wit Gaston had been next to useless when it came to providing useful information.

"We need not concern ourselves with the trifling details at present."
He managed, forcing a tight smile.
"However, I must insist on you remaining here until I've spoken with your father in private."

Belle stared at Loki, her neat features crumpling into a confused frown.
"But why? You can trust me with your secret, I promise I won't betray you to him."

Loki's smile melted away and she saw his shoulders immediately tense.
"It is not that simple. He has come seeking answers and he will demand an explanation."

"So, I will explain."
She said, with a gentle smile that would make a lesser-man waver. But Loki was made of much stronger stuff.
"I'll make sure no blame is placed on you. I was the one who wanted to leave, and now I have the opportunity to explain everything. You helped me when I was desperate, I begged you for assistance, he must know that I left of my own free will-"

Her words dissolved as Loki snorted rudely, interrupting her before she had time to finish.
"He will not believe any of that. And besides, what if he should demand you return? What then? Have you forgotten about your betrothal?"

"Of course I haven't, but this is my chance to be bold and tell him how strongly I oppose my engagement to Gaston. He can't force me to return with him, or to marry."

"That won't keep him from trying."
Loki said leadenly, his expression gravely serious.
"He is family after all, he will try to coerce you, and use sentiment. Emotional blackmail can be a powerful weapon when wielded correctly. And you have your duties to your kingdom, he's bound to remind you of that."

"No."
Belle moved towards the object of her affections hastily, and placed her hands on his shoulders.
She was desperate to make him understand.
Desperate to make him see that her love for him was greater, and extended far beyond, all family ties or Royal duty.
"You have to trust me Loki. He won't persuade me to go back. I won't leave you. I promised I would come with you forever. I won't break that promise. I intend to keep my word."

Loki deliberately avoided meeting her eyes and instead gazed straight ahead, staring blankly with unseeing eyes. He was blinded by a rising panic which was completely out of character for him. Everything was spiralling out of control, he felt like he was falling at a rapid rate head-first into the unknown, and was powerless to stop it.
Much like the time he had plunged from the bifrost into the depths of the endless abyss below.

"Your word."
He echoed, his voice surly.
"Is that what holds you to me? Nothing more than a promise you made under duress when you were desperate and not thinking clearly."

"No it isn't just that, of course it isn't....I love you!"

Brusquely Loki pulled away, freeing himself of her dainty hands. Everything was wrong, yet still felt painfully right. He was being unreasonable with her and he knew it, which made him feel even more wretched.  He was an enormous hypocrite, he knew that also. Amongst other things, such as a liar, a manipulator and a coward.

"If you love me, then you will obey me by remaining here until I summon you."
He ordered, and with that he turned on the heel of his boot and stalked towards the door, taking long strides on his lean powerful legs.

"Obey you? I thought you wanted us to be equals? Haven't we become something more than just master and servant?"
Belle pointed out sadly.

She was deeply confused. He really was the most complicated individual she had ever met, but still she clung to the belief that she possessed the strength and breadth of character to handle his glorious complexity.