Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Back at the Garrison, Lance knew he always liked Keith: his face, his voice, everything about him. Especially the way he was so mysterious. Keith had always kept to himself. He had no friends in the Garrison. He was always alone and yet, he aced every test and performed well without bragging about it. There was just something about Keith that Lance found very, very attractive.

Lance kept his feelings hidden by saying Keith was his rival and that he was going to beat Keith at something and improve himself. Lance thought Keith was too perfect despite not knowing him personally. But Lance knew there were holes in his story: he and Keith never truly interacted during their time in the Garrison together.

But Lance talked about Keith all the time, irritating Hunk, who had to listen to him go on and on about how much Keith one up'ed him all the time.

"I've never seen you compete against Keith," Hunk commented one day.

Lance winced. He couldn't show his true feelings. Not even to his best friend. "Oh, he knows that we're rivals! I'll show you tomorrow!"

Then the next day, Lance ran after Keith as Keith was jogging around campus. Lance had always watched Keith run around campus for exercise. This time, he'd run by his side and finally talk to him.

"Hey!" Lance called. He had started running after Keith, but he soon realized Keith was too fast. The closer he got to Keith, he also noticed that Keith hardly broke a sweat. "Keith!"

At his name, Keith turned his head, "Who're you?"

Lance's heart skipped a beat. He was sure it was because Keith finally acknowledged him and looked him in the eyes and not because he was running fast to keep up with him. "Mind if I join you?" He asked breathlessly.

Keith just scowled at him and finally looked away. "Doesn't matter to me. It's not like you can keep up anyways." Almost to prove his point, he sped up even more.

Lance's eyes widened as Keith left him behind. I never thought he'd brag about his skills! He thought. I didn't know he'd be like this.

The rest of that run, Keith didn't once slow down to talk to Lance. Lance didn't give up though. He remembered how he ran after him, watching the back of his head the entire time. "I'll never catch up to him," Lance told himself as Keith ran back towards campus to get to his dorm. Their run was over. But the day after, Keith was gone from the Garrison and Lance thought he'd never see him again.

~~

"Lance," Coran's voice broke his train of thought. "Allura's making noise! I think she'll wake up soon! You need to keep talking to Keith."

Lance glanced over at Allura and her head was turning to the left and right in a panicked jerking movement. She was struggling, but she was showing signs. Meanwhile, Keith was still peacefully asleep. "I..." Lance started. "I don't know what to say to him...I already tried reminding him of Voltron, but he's not hearing me."

Coran kept his eyes down at Allura, "Never thought I'd say this, but just keep talking, Lance. He'll come around eventually..."

But Lance felt a pang in his chest. It was doubt. He doubted that Keith would wake up. Panic began to spread within him. He grabbed Keith's shoulders and slammed him to the ground. "Wake up, Keith!" He yelled.

Coran winced, "Wh-What're you doing!? Don't hurt him!"

"I don't care anymore! I just need him to be awake! What if he never wakes up!?" Lance cried out desperately. "What if he never gets to know how I—" He stopped himself. He couldn't tell Coran that. "Keith, as your friend and comrade, I'm begging you to wake up! If you would just wake up and tell me what you are dreaming about, I could make reality better for you!"