Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

Shiro found Allura standing alone in front of a window overlooking the vast galaxy. The many stars brightly shown and in the distance, there were purple nebulas to be seen. Shiro had just sent everyone to their rooms after the exercise and he had to break it to the Princess that everyone needed more time to rest and clear things up. But really, it was just Lance and Keith who needed to clear things up. Shiro just knew what had to be done in order to resolve things with the team. 

He let out a silent sigh and composed himself, standing tall, before he made his way over to Allura. "Princess," He greeted in a gentle tone. "I need to talk to you."

Allura jerked her head and glanced at Shiro briefly before returning her gaze to the stars. "What is it, Shiro? Did the exercise go okay?"

Shiro cleared his throat and thought for just a second on how to break the news to her. "Well...About that...I think we should all take a break. Lance and Keith ruined the exercise with their drama and it ended with Keith shooting Lance on the forehead with a paintball."

At this, Allura's eyes widened and she turned towards Shiro and looked up at him. "What!? But when I left you in charge, things were going so well!"

Shiro felt his face grow hot out of embarrassment. "I--I know, Princess...but you have to understand the situation. These are young adults we're dealing with. They're two years older than when we started this mission. It's been made clear to me that Lance and Keith are in love with one another."

Allura covered her mouth. "Oh...? They...love each other?"

Shiro simply nodded, not knowing what else to say about it.

"I have a confession to make too," Allura sighed.

Shiro tilted his head curiously. "What?"

Allura looked away from him. "Well..." She began. "I kinda always knew Lance liked Keith...The mice told me a long time ago, but I guess I never thought anything more of it...So perhaps I forgot?"

Shiro chuckled softly. "Oh! That's very surprising! Who knew it'd turn out like this though? After all, we've spent a lot of time together. Their feelings just grew stronger over time."

Allura looked back at him and smiled. "Yes, well...I also think it has to do with the dream water on that planet. I asked Coran about it a little after I woke up. For me, when I woke up I felt so much more grateful to Coran and all of you. The dream water made me feel at ease because I knew I wasn't alone."

Shiro's lips parted, but he remained silent once more. He didn't know what to say. Should he tell her how he felt? It was different for him because he was the leader figure, while Allura was the Princess. 

"So," Allura continued. "All I'm trying to say is that Keith's feelings were unlocked as well."

Shiro nodded. "I suppose so..."

Allura nodded back at him. "Yes! Alright, Shiro. All of us can take a break until we reach the next planet." 

Shiro bowed to her slightly. "Thank you, Allura." When he stood up straight again, they locked eyes and Shiro felt his chest grow heavy. He truly did understand how Lance and Keith felt because he was in love with Allura. "W-Well...I'll see you later at dinner then." He nodded to her again before walking away. He couldn't help but feel happy that Allura always smiled at him. But now he had a real job to do. 

~~

Lance was lying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. "He hates me," He muttered to himself. He sighed and closed his eyes, trying to calm down. His forehead still felt sore and he wondered if it were possible to get a bruise there.