One

Kris

I get home from The Jolt just in time for dinner. I see a moving truck in the driveway next door. That house has been empty for months.

"Mom, Dad!" I'm home I call through the house as I take my apron and shoes off.

"In here honey." My mom has already served my father and I. They're at the table waiting just like the do every week day night. The weekends are more busy for us and Sunday evenings we have dinner at the church.

"How was y'alls day?" I ask after washing my hands and sitting down to eat.

We say grace and talk about our days while we eat, Of course my father makes some jokes. Dad has always been the funny one and momma is the more serious one. I guess dad had to be more outgoing as a pastor. 

After dinner I cleaned up the kitchen and dining room then went and showered. Once I got out I could sleep fresh cookies. I got ready then followed the smell back to the kitchen where my mother was baking cookies.

"Here, will you take these to the new neighbor?" My mom hands me a plate of the freshly made cookies. "Just don't go in we don't know him." She smiles and take the plate walking away.

It's been awhile since we've had anyone live there so it's going to take time to get use to it. I just hope he's a quiet one because the other house next to us is.

I feel a little nervous when I ring the doorbell. I wait for the guy looking towards each side of me. I go for one more ring and if he doesn't ans...

"Can I help You?" His voice is deep and sarcastic.

"Hi I'm Kris. I love next door. My mother baked you some cookies. " I give him the plate as his eyes stare into mine I quickly and nervously look away.

"Oh, umm, thanks." He scratches the back of his neck. "I'm Chase. " i give him a half smile.

"If you need anything just let my parents know. Have a nice evening." I start to walk away and I can feel his eyes glued to me be fore I turn up to our driveway I hear his door slam.