Chapter 2

The rest of the evening was a blur and not in the good way where you're a little drunk and a little high. I wished I was either one of those, but not both because I would have definitely freaked out in this setting. I contemplated maybe just casting a quick high spell on myself, but didn't. I never didn't really like to to cross that line and besides, getting spell high was def not as good as going au naturale.

The throngs of people made it near impossible to get out in any timely manner, so I remained victim to the pushing and shoving. Several shoves and a whole lot of body sweat later, I exited the tent, where it was at least twenty degrees cooler. I sighed with relief and spotted my mother smiling coyly a few feet away.

I quickly lunged toward her with my arms out. We hugged deeply and I tried to soak in as much of her in as I could. "It's good to see you, ma."

"That goes without saying, my love."

We hugged for another moment and it was nice. Nicer than the entire, stupid graduation ceremony. She broke off and held me out at an arm's length. "You look like an adult."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

"It's just supposed to be the truth, but if you're wondering if it's a good thing, it is."

"Oh, good," I said. "Where have you been this time?"

"I could share a few tales with you..."

"Isn't that what you said the last time?"

My mother shook her head. "There are just some things you would be better not knowing. You'll find your own stories."

"Yeah, I'm just not so sure there have been any stories worth telling in this town ever."

"Well, that's why you've got to go out and find them," my mom said and stepped back. "I'll see you back at home?"

"I'm actually staying here. There's something in the gym for the seniors so we don't drink and drive and kill ourselves,"

"And you're going to that?"

"I know, surprise surprise. I figure it's worth it if I win a raffle prize."

My mom grinned. "That's my girl. And besides, you only have this one night and opportunity to do this, so you might as well take it. I'll see you tomorrow. I have a little something for you."

"Sure thing," I said, a bit reluctantly. I wanted to go home with her, but she was right. She waved as she back pedaled through the crowd and out of sight.

Before I could get too contemplative, there was a hand on my shoulder. "Eve!" Cindy called out as she pulled me towards her group of her drama friends, none of which I really knew. "We've got to take a picture!" she insisted.

"Of course!" I said, too caught up to say anything otherwise.

• • •

I made it through the crowd without taking an excessive amount of pictures. I never really knew what to do with my face in photos, especially smiling. How do people find it so easy and casual to have a camera pointed at them? No matter how many different faces I try, I don't think I will ever be able to take a nice picture. Whatever.

The sun had already set by the time the crowd thinned out. I wanted to go sit under the bleachers and wait it out, but was too busy being pulled person to person to chit chat or say goodbye.

Eventually, everyone else started making their way for the gym and I drifted along, silent amongst the buzzing energy. I was already pretty exhausted and hoping that one of the PTO members had the foresight to have a coffee machine on hand. If not, I would be handing out energy spells all night and that would suck with a capital S U C K.