Chapter: 1

Cassette Tapes

➴➴➴ 

Time today has seemed to speed up ten-fold. I could've sworn that just a minute ago I was still in my pajamas eating breakfast, but now I'm here -

"Mum, stop kissing me already, the train's about to leave!" James yelled.

Of course, there was nothing to worry about, really; hundreds of students and their families still milled around the platform.

"Don't be rude to your mother." His dad scolded, but you could tell by the smile ghosting at the corners of his mouth that he was only kidding. He brought the boy into a hug before taking his trunk to where they were loading them onto the train.

"Oh, I'll miss you!" His mother said for the millionth time before pulling him into a tight embrace.

"I'll miss you too."

James scooped up his cat and took off towards the train, bounding up the steps. Before he fully entered the car, he turned back to his parents -his father arriving back from loading the trunk moments after James had left- and gave a final wave.

Students, young and old, darted in and out of compartments, finding friends to sit with. James stalked down the aisle like he owned the place and opened a random booth, determined to make friends with whoever sat in there. As it turns out, it happened to be another first year, a girl , he may add. Her white knee socks sat at different heights, like she couldn't be bothered to fix them, and a book in her lap. Her hair was a light blonde colour. You could tell it was very long, even with it in a bun. At that moment she looked up at him with light green eyes that crinkled a the edges with a smile.

"Hello." She said, nestling a ribbon between the pages to mark her place as she closed it.

"Hi," replied James as he took the seat opposite her with an extended hand, "James Potter."

"Margaret Hollands."

Her hand was small, but of course, it was, she was a girl after all. They smiled at each other once again, before she went back to her book. He looked at the dwindling population of families who still stood on the platform, and would be until the whistle blew for a final call of students. After a few minutes, a black haired boy opened the door with a crooked smile and a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Sirius Black." he held his hands out to the girl with the book and the boy with glasses.

As they introduced themselves, two more boys opened the compartment, one with an apologetic smile and the other with a shy one.

"You don't mind, do you?" said the taller of the two, the one with scars on his face.

"Not at all."

After they were all acquainted James got into a conversation with Sirius and Remus with Margaret about books. This left Peter to twiddle his thumbs whilst looking out the window.

The train was well on it's way to Hogwarts when their final guest had arrived - a girl with her robe thrown over her muggle clothes.

She had stood there for a second, deliberating whether to enter the crowded compartment, when Sirius noticed her standing there. She flushed with embarrassment when all of the occupants suddenly looked her way. The boy got up and slid the door open.

"It's fine, there's plenty of room for you here." Sirius caught her arm and dragged her gently into the seat between him and James.

She let out an oof when she landed on the bench. James couldn't help but watch in amazement as her cheeks turned even redder than they had been. How can one person be so shy?