The One That Got Away

Alesa's POV
I'd hate to admit it, but I love my new furniture. That old couch was covered in numerous periods, baby poops, baby spit ups, and a lot more unmentionables. Rascal scurries right into his new bed and rests his head. Mason watches as he gets new baby toys and a better bed and more food. I smile.
I'm so happy. It's been a while since I've been this happy.
I turn as I hear his loud, adorable laugh-
Wait... Did I just describe Adam as adorable!?
I blush and run over to Adam. He brushes his brown hair out of his face. He waves at one of the mover people, and smiles at me.
"What's up?"
He asks. I push my hair behind my ear and jump up to hug him then put my head on his shoulder. He bends down abruptly.
"Wwwooahh"
He sort of stutters. After a few seconds his arms wrap around the bottom of my back. He stands back up, forcing me off him. He looks down to me.
"Y...you ok?"
I try to think of a reason I would hug my ex.
I'm thankful for my new furniture?
Hm no, I've already thanked him a million times.
I'm glad Mason has a father?
No that implies I'll marry him again.
I'm on my period?
No that only works when I'm sad.
Should I tell him the truth? I'm really happy that I have someone who actually speaks English and I can have an intelligent conversation with and I'm not making them say something by moving their mouth and speaking the words in a silly voice?
No that makes me sound like I belong in an asylum.
How about the fake truth?
That you're glad to talk to him again?
Yeah sure.
"I'm glad we are talking again."
His smile disappears. He looks past me.
Wait I'm confused.
"You literally just tweeted out like eight hours ago that we were never gonna get together and now you're all over me?"
He pauses,
"I think I should go. Um just drop off Mason on like next Sunday or whatever. If you have anymore night terrors, you can still message me. Keep all the furniture, try to keep it clean or.. Whatever. Uh. Love you Rascal. Love you Mason. Sweet dreams Alesa."
He shuffles out of my house. The door slams behind him.
I am the definition of "idiot"
I slap my body onto my new couch. I look over to Mason. I sigh.
"Somewhere after high school, when we first met. We make out in your mustang, to radio head. And on m.. My eighteenth birthday, w..we got m-matching tattoos."
I look down to my shoulder, where my flower tattoo stayed. I feel a tear roll down my flower shoulder.
You're gone.
"Used to steal your parent's liquor, and climb to the roof, talk about our future, like we had a clue. Never pl...planned that one day, I'd be l-losing you. In a..another life, I would be your g-girl. We'd keep all our promises, be us ag..*sniffle* against the world. In a another life... I would M-make you stay. So I don't have to say you w-were the one th-that g-got away."
I break down on my couch. I try to keep singing my feelings.
"S..someone said you had your... Your tattoo removed.. Saw y..you downtown singing the blues."
Rascal gets on the couch and cuddles next to me. I eventually stop crying and somehow fall asleep. I had a dream where I had a whole family to love.
Adam's POV
I sniffle as I pull out of her driveway. Tears stream down my face.
She used me. She f***ing used me. How could she even do that to me? I told her all about my past and she just... Threw it all out.
I watch as cars pass me up. I stare out my window.
I see a vibrant yellow car.
Yellow was her favorite color.
I see a girl with pink hair.
Hello karma.
I saw an ad for mascara on a billboard.
I totally f***ed up her mascara in that video. I bought her like ten more of all name brands.
I laugh to myself. I remember her galloping down the makeup aisles that day. She'd bounce between every name brand and picked out every one she liked. I stood there, watching as she joyfully giggled and laughed and smiled.
Just like the furniture shopping. That woman loves shopping d***it.
Not that I mind. I liked seeing her happy. The red light turns green and I turn left. Cars whirr by me. I kind of smile through my tears.
I'm the one that got away.
~time skip to like, November or something~
Ross's POV
Max and I sit in Adam's office with anticipation. I'm sitting on Max's lap on Adam's chair. After a few minutes, Max crosses his arms around my waist, sets his chin on my shoulder, and sighs.
"R....Ross I don't think he's coming."
I don't look away from the door.
"Shut up."
Another sigh from Max. Another few minutes pass. Max sits back in the chair, bringing me along. We sit there kind of sort of cuddling for a while. This time, we both sigh. We get up and leave the little cube room. We hug and say our goodbyes to everyone in the office. We walk out and walk in silence.
"Is he ever coming back, Max?"
I ask. He cuddles into his red scarf. I snug my gray coat closer to me. A woman who looks forty stares at Max and me. She looks as she was going to throw up. Max notices her and growls. I smile at the lady through the snowflakes. I pull Max in front of me and kiss his nose. He looks at the woman and laughs quietly. He puts his arm on my back and continues to walk. I see as she grumbles into her coat. Max and I giggle. I get quiet, and ask the same question, but in a different way.
"I hope Adam comes back. Do you think he's coming back?"
He looks at the ground.
"Eventually. It's been two months though."
I nod. I look over my shoulder. Our footsteps sank into the inches of snow. I turn back around and smile.
"What're you so happy about?"
Max asks. I look at the pale sky.
"Winter is my favorite season."
He nods. We walk into a McDonald's and order. My phone it rings.
"It's Adam!"
I pick up.
"Hey Adam, what's up?"
I ask like he hasn't been missing for two months.
"H...hey.... I miss you guys."
"Same."
Max shouts across the table. Adam laughs pathetically on the other end.
"Hey Max."
Adam says weakly. Max laughs.
"Adam, what's wrong?"
I beg for information. I only get silence.
"A....Adam?"
I get a sigh.
"Guys I can't do this. Please come over like now."
I glance over to Max, who is already stuffing his face with a Big Mac. I laugh through my nose praying Adam doesn't hear.
"Uh.. *ahem* y... *snicker* yeah of course."
I try to desperately speak without laughing.
"Thanks."
Max and I stuff our faces then get a large milkshake and go to Adam's.

Max's POV
We walk into the dark house.
"Max, I can smell the depression from here."
Ross whispers.
"Shut up! I'm supposed to be the mean one!"
I whisper shout. Ross stifles a laugh. Then we hear sobbing and rush to it. We find Adam curled up in a ball of depression and anxiety on a...pink....bed. Ross immediately goes and hugs Adam.
"Hey.. Buddy.... What... What's wrong?"
I ask. Adam rolls over away from Ross and stuffs his face in the bed.
"Sh-she's gone Max, gone!"
Adam sobs. I sit next to him.
"What happened?"
I question. His gets his face out of the comforter. Is that.... Mascara?
"I....I bought h..her all n-new furniture! Th....then she...she said she....she wasn't g-going t-to talk to me...a....again! She....she used m...me f....for m-money M-Max! F-for money!"
He says through sobs.
Ross just scoots closer to Adam hugging him. I do the same. I watch as he clenches his eyes together. Black trails run down his cheeks. We all just lay on the pink bed for hours.
"I....it'll b....be o-ok..."
I say, now crying too.
"It'll b...be ok..."

I spent like four days on this chapter. Enjoy.