22

Brooke was sitting in the living room with a glass of red wine in hand. It was a Saturday night and Elodie had gone to sleep relatively early. She had had a long, hard couple of days. Hell, she had actually had a hard couple of weeks. She would prefer something stronger than wine even though she wasn't much of a drinker but the sheer amount of stress she felt would not be melted away for a few hours if she just sipping some wine. But drinking too much was not responsible of her, she figured a glass of wine was going to be where she made her limit. She was trying to be the best mom she could be for Elodie at the moment, and getting hammered would not make her mother of the year.

There was a knock on the front door and she set her glass down on the side table. She glanced down at her watch as she approached the door, she wasn't expecting anyone and it was getting late for any sort of visitor. She unlocked the door and opened it enough to see who it was before opening it fully.

"I, uh," Jensen stammered as he stared at his house key in his palm, "I wasn't sure if I'm allowed use this anymore so I figured I would knock."

He looked drunk but not the kind of drunk Brooke was used to for him. His eyes were bloodshot and he was biting the inside of his lip as he stared down at the key, cautiously up at her and then to the ground. Brooke imagined seeing him again and what it would be like and so far this is not at all how she imagined it. She thought he would come home with some big romantic gesture to win her back over, not half-drunk like he was now.

She could smell whiskey on him and his flannel shirt was untucked and unbuttoned to reveal a white vneck that had a stain of most likely whiskey.

"I love you Brooke." He said.

Brooke felt tears spring to her eyes, "You have a strange way of showing it."

Her voice was raspy as she tried to talk through the tears that were building up within her.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

Brooke nodded and opened the door the rest of the way. He walked in, shutting the door behind him. Brooke walked into the kitchen, leaning up against the island as he followed her. He was fidgeting oddly. He was rubbing his hands together and bouncing his foot up and down. Brooke felt herself get worried about what was going to happen given the wellbeing that Jensen was portraying currently.

"I've-" he paused and took a deep breath, "I've made a mistake."

"You've made a lot of mistakes." Brooke added.

"Please, just listen." Jensen said, his eyes welling with tears.

Brooke nodded. She had never seen him cry before and it scared her that whatever he was going to tell her was enough to make this rattled.

"I haven't been happy and I've been taking that out on you and Elodie." He sighed. "We were fighting all the time and I never got to see you and even when we did see each other, we would fight about something stupid."

His voice was breaking and sounded groggy like when he had just woken up in the morning. Brooke used to love the sound of his voice when it was raspy like that but now it held a bitterness to her that she wished would not be there.

Brooke's gaze was concentrated on the ground. She knew she would start crying immediately if she looked him in the eyes. She knew he was close to tears and knowing that he was about to cry made it harder to fight off her own tears.

"Do you want me to do this slowly or quick?" Jensen said quietly.

"Do what?" Brooke asked in confusion.

"Just pick one. Slow or quick." Jensen said urgently.

"Um, quick I guess." She shrugged, her heart pounding out of her chest.