Home

"What do you like to do in your spare time?" Oliver asked after having swallowed a mouthful of cake.

Caden shifted uncomfortably in his seat and didn't know what to answer. Obviously he couldn't say that he loved running through the woods or just lounging on a thick branch up in the tree tops.

"I like to read," he quietly said and Oliver smiled. "Especially in front of the fireplace."

"I've never been here during the winter but grandpa says it can get quiet cold."

He didn't know if it was a question or just a statement so he nodded in confirmation. Feeling lost, he looked down at his untouched food and decided to take a bite. He pulled off the paper wrapping and sniffed curiously before sinking his teeth into it. The white stuff on top tasted like vanilla and sweet whereas the dough was mixed with chocolate.

"Dayton is cool for a few weeks but I think I would go nuts if I had to live the whole year here. I'd miss the beach and the sun and the life in California," Oliver confessed with a chuckle.

Caden laughed awkwardly and took another bite to escape the embarrassing responsibility to keep their conversation going. He didn't feel like bolting any moment but he was far from relaxed. Talking with Michael was never this hard, it just came natural.

Secretly he glanced at the clock. Only an hour had passed but it had felt like an entire day of sitting here. Was it okay to leave now?

After he had forced down the entire chocolate-vanilla-thing he felt sick and his skin itched.

"I think I have to go now," he said and Oliver frowned.

"Really? That would be a shame." He winked at Caden. "We've got a connection, you know? I can feel it."

Caden blushed furiously and stared down at his hands. "Really."

"Okay, no problem," Oliver reassured him and rose from his seat. Caden was quick to follow and they brought their dishes back to the chubby vendor before exiting the bakery. Greedily, Caden sucked in the fresh air.

"So, I thought, perhaps we could meet again. I could show you my books next time" Oliver paused and grinned cheekily. "and I could make you some of my special Latte Macchiato. How does that sound?"

"Err, sounds nice," Caden stuttered. "I'll let you know when I'm in town again."

"Okay. It was really nice to meet you again, Caden."

"It was," Caden agreed with an awkward smile and took a step back. "So, uh, bye."

"See ya around, Caden." Oliver smiled before turning and heading down the street to Oak Lane.

Caden had the urge to bang his head against the next available surface. It had been so painfully awkward!

He rushed back to the alley, pulled off his clothes and shifted into his cougar form. Immediately, some of the stress left his tense muscles. With the backpack lodged firmly between his teeth he left Dayton behind him. Whatever Oliver had meant with this special Latte Macchiato, he didn't intend to find out what it was.

Jogging up the mountain was more exhausting than getting down to the valley and it took slightly more time to leave the human territory altogether.

He felt relaxed in his natural habitat and shook his head in amusement. His second encounter wit the redhead had been so pointless.

Upon arriving at the cabin he had to wait a few minutes to breath before actually shifting back. Although he didn't intend to go down to town again he didn't want Michael to know about it. No need to upset the bear.